Thread: Hand Plane Til

Hand Plane Til

Got tured of dusting off the planes in the old til, so....a stack of 1 x 8s, a bit of plywood, and some plexiglass for the doors....
    Plane Til, project post, 1.JPG
    The 3 drawers have through dovetails at the fronts...case has them at all for corners.
    Plane Til, project post, 2.JPG
    And, when you open the doors...
    Plane Til, project post, both doors opened.JPG
    Shelves sit in sliding dovetail joints...there is a magnetic closure under one shelf...keeps the right door closed tight...the left uses an outside latch
    Plane Til, project post, handle details.JPG
    Finish is called Witch's Brew....has a dash of Gunstock added in to the can...

Hopefully, I'm done with dusting the planes off...

Nice solution to a problem. I just dust them off when I use them!

Nice display while protecting your treasures. My wife and others haven suggested that my version of the cabinet be hung on the wall in the living room. You may want to mount it in your shop before swbo gets similar ideas.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Really like the looks of the cabinet Steven.

I may try to build one quite similar if I can find the wall space.

This is attached to the top of an old dresser/desk we found in the basement when we moved into the house...

This new til not only holds the ones from the old til, but almost all the others that were sitting around on shelves....have all but 4 of my planes in the new til. Now I can just open a door, grab the plane(s) I need for the day, close the door back up, and the rest stay dust free, and safely out of the way..

I used the plexiglass because I am not much of a Glazier....seems anything glass that I install....cracks. So, IF the Pine moves a bit, no glass will be broken, the plexiglass is flexible enough.

Very nice! I appreciate making furniture quality pieces for tools.
    One question...I have a humidity problem in my garage,,,I mean my shop. Not too bad but there are times when light rust forms. Do your doors inhibit humidity in any way? I would think it would, even if just a little.

Again, nice work, indeed.

John

My shop is in a basement, an OLD, fieldstone basement. Tools get a wipe down with a cheap paint brush that has a drizzle of 3in1 oil in it.