Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How useful is a mortising attachment on a jointer/planer combo

I had a multi router for a bit, intending to use it as a tenoner. You really had to use the templates, which limited the flexibility, and cut the tenons full depth in one shot, which limited the effective tenon length due to bit whip. It was ok given its limitations, but I was hoping for a bit more capacity. It is a well built machine and a good slot mortiser for small work.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 04-20-2020 at 11:41 AM.

I have a Minimax CU410 Elite S with the slot mortising attachment and I find it is very useful on certain projects. Doors as in passage way doors, with a 1/2" bit you can build in a hurry. Smaller work like kitchen cabinet doors where you're pounding out a bunch are quickly done with a slot mortiser.

I have made extra little fixtures and jigs for my mortiser that make it quicker and more repeatable for my efforts. You can't turn your brain off and just crank away on this machine especially when you might have a 4" bit on it. I pierce both ends of the mortise to full depth first. Then I cut taking no more than .25" and usually less, I can count on .125" every time (tool stick out is the main factor here). If I'm in a moderately hard to soft wood I'll cut on the climb pass as well but never in a very dense hard wood. You have to be smooth and 100% focused on the operation with this machine.

I would not be without one.

These were part of the standard equipment package on the full combo machines back in my Italian days. Feedback from customers was that some used them, some didn't. Many folks sold it after receiving their machines. We also sold them from time to time as an accessory to someone who already owned a jointer/planer. Once the Domino appeared, that segment of the market seemed to disappear. With the Pantorouter, I can see the same thing happening again. Just my observation.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

You mentioned that you are going to pass on the JP combo. I will say that I love mine and don't feel that I'm compromising much. The switchover is reasonably straightforward.

One thing that is a little bit of a pain is the dust collection hose on my Hammer A3-41. Because the planer and jointer feed from opposite sides, the collection chute flips between ops. That means you have to have 2 dc drops or if you are space constrained, rigging the flex hose accordingly.

My point is, if you don't have the space to be able to have separates, even moving a combo for dust collection can be an issue unless you plan it properly. If you DO have a lot of space, the only thing you'd be giving up wiht the JP combo is the switchover TIME, which I don't find to be a big deal. Also, I sacrificed a little on the planer vs a separate, and gain a little on the jointer vs the separate. YMMV. I find having the jointer and planer the same width has been good enough for me. I also like being able to share the helical head between the two; not sure I would have done that upgrade if I had separates.

Sorry I can't comment about the mortiser attachment. Have considered adding it, but have other methods that work well for me.

Hey Prashun, do you use a 90-degree elbow at the coupler to the machine? That seems to mitigate the issue of the snorkel pointing opposite directions for me.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Hey Prashun, do you use a 90-degree elbow at the coupler to the machine? That seems to mitigate the issue of the snorkel pointing opposite directions for me.

Erik
    I use the Felder right angle connector on mine, my 120mm hose comes down from the ceiling, the right angle connector allows the hose be out of the way without huge loops.........Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Very happy with mine also Brian. Especially with your blower attachment and getting the right auger bushings. Yes, those Balestrini and Bacci tenoners and mortisers would make chair building easy. I can cut angled tenons easy with my tilting shaper but putting the shoulders on requires multiple after setups. Often wondered if the multi router or similar would be good for small scale chair making. Do you have any experience with those?
    Excellent! I’ll be moving into phase 2 soon enough and making something for the chisels. I don’t have any experience with the multi router, unfortunately. There is a balestrini going for cheap on machinery Max, I wish I had the space.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I spent the better part of this morning cutting mortises with my mortiser (SCM/Minimax J/P) and I have to say its the best way to make mortises that I've found (if you are not chopping them by hand).