Thread: Garage find -- Delta Unisaw and various attachements, request info & advice

Garage find -- Delta Unisaw and various attachements, request info & advice

Hi all,
    Thanks for the membership to the Sawmill Creek community.

A client gave me this Delta Unisaw and attachments this week. I've spent the last two days combing the internet to find pictures to assemble it.

It was stored under the eve of a garage, covered with other stuff. I assume it's been exposed to indirect rain, etc. The top is rusted, appears to be mostly surface rust. Judging from the conversation, this owner purchased it secondhand and never hooked it up. it was last used about 12 to 16 years ago.

I'm familiar with low-end table saws having used them occasionally throughout my life. That said, this thing is a beast. The attachments e.g. slide table, etc, indicate it was used for big operations. I could use help with identifying attachments and maybe parts that are missing.

I could also use advise about how to assess what I got, what needs to be done, etc. Should I contact Delta? or hire a consultant to test & appraise it? Since I was in the market for a $600 contractor table saw anyway, what would I have to to do determine if it's salvagable for my own use? I don't want to put too much into it if it's not salvagable.

I don't have a 240v circuit. I'm asking around to borrow a portable generator with 240v capability, or may rent one. Let's stop there. What are your thoughts with how best to proceed?

Thanks,
    Smythe

Marietta, GA

Big pic -- a beast of a table saw
    tablesaw sideview.jpg

Picture 1 - model info
    tablesaw model with block.jpg

Picture 2 - motor info

Tablesaw motor-w-block.jpg

Picture 3 - surface

tablesaw surface.jpg

Picture 4 - base

Tablesaw trunk.jpg

Picture 5 - plug
    tablesaw-plug.jpg

Picture 6 - roller
    tablesaw-roller.jpg

Picture 7 - slide
    tablesaw exactor.jpg

Limit is 8 pics, more to follow including unidentifed parts.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smythe DuVal View Post
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the membership to the Sawmill Creek community.

A client gave me this Delta Unisaw and attachments this week. I've spent the last two days combing the internet to find pictures to assemble it.

It was stored under the eve of a garage, covered with other stuff. I assume it's been exposed to indirect rain, etc. The top is rusted, appears to be mostly surface rust. Judging from the conversation, this owner purchased it secondhand and never hooked it up. it was last used about 12 to 16 years ago.

I'm familiar with low-end table saws having used them occasionally throughout my life. That said, this thing is a beast. The attachments e.g. slide table, etc, indicate it was used for big operations. I could use help with identifying attachments and maybe parts that are missing.

I could also use advise about how to assess what I got, what needs to be done, etc. Should I contact Delta? or hire a consultant to test & appraise it? Since I was in the market for a $600 contractor table saw anyway, what would I have to to do determine if it's salvagable for my own use? I don't want to put too much into it if it's not salvagable.

I don't have a 240v circuit. I'm asking around to borrow a portable generator with 240v capability, or may rent one. Let's stop there. What are your thoughts with how best to proceed?

Thanks,
    Smythe

Marietta, GA

Big pic -- a beast of a table saw
    tablesaw sideview.jpg

Picture 1 - model info
    tablesaw model with block.jpg

Picture 2 - motor info

Tablesaw motor-w-block.jpg

Picture 3 - surface

tablesaw surface.jpg

Picture 4 - base

Tablesaw trunk.jpg

Picture 5 - plug
    tablesaw-plug.jpg

Picture 6 - roller
    tablesaw-roller.jpg

Picture 7 - slide
    tablesaw exactor.jpg

Limit is 8 pics, more to follow including unidentifed parts.

Thanks!!
    My thought is take the saw part to a friends with 240 and give it a try, or hook up a temp 240v line. My guess is it will run fine. If it runs, clean it up and the paste wax it and you are good to go. I would clean the table with fine steel wool and WD 40, wipe it down with laquer thinner and wax the table. I feel very optimistic by the looks of it. Make sure the belts are not dry rotted before turning it on.

One man's opinion,

ron

do you have an electric dryer? oven/range?

agree with ron, its going to be great with a little work.

Do you have the cover for the switch gear? If not I would mount that box with a homemade cover down low or even behind the saw. Then mount a pushbutton stop-start station at a convenient location. A switch set in a box will probably be less costly then a replacement cover from delta or whoever made that box.
    I mounted mine on a piece of 4x6 so the button came out far enough to be convent to turn off with my knee. On my old unisaw I brought it out on a piece of water pipe about 8-10 inches long. Some saws have a 1/2 pipe female boss under the front of the table to mount a switch from.
    It is only four bolts to remove the top. I would take the top off and ros sand it to at least 400 grit. While it is off soak all the moving bits with penetating oil. You rally should loosen the bolts and adjust the top to be square with the blade anyway so taking it off is not really a added big deal if you are going to unbolt and move it around anyway.
    But best to remove the fence before lifting the top. Look for and count any washers/shims at the bolts as you remove the top. It weight 100 pounds? Cast iron side wings are 30 pounds each.
    Bill D.
    PS: I would rather buy a used real industrial switch then a new made in China version.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-17-2020 at 2:20 PM.

Delta Unisaw with Delta mobile base ,Excalibur sliding table,roller outfeed table and a overhead dust gaurd. FREE. I will say you have great friends. Saw is one of the later Uni's (Newer). Clean it up and go.

If possible I would remove the belt and spin the arbor and the motor by themselves and see if the bearings sound good. Cheap and easy to replace while the top is off.
    Bil lD

I'm not a paying member so I haven't seen your pics. I would stay away from steel wool. I used scotchbright pads to get the heavier rust and lapped tables with 250grt wet/dry sand paper (the black paper). You could do a final lapping with 400grt to get it baby bottom smooth. Once your top is to your satisfaction use protection of your choice. Have fun.