Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dirty 30" jointer is back

The dirty 30" jointer is back

Finally got the 30" American wired and running in the new shop, it's been well over a year since it was last running. https://youtu.be/_PuFxZwlwrU

Darcy are you sure that there should not be a line painted down the middle of that table ? You know so the F-18 pilots can center when they land.

that is just nice

This thing was at the top of a steep hill in a small building.
    Had to be taken apart to load, his tractor with a front end loader was a lawn mower with the cutest little bucket you ever saw....then assembled on the trailer.

Had to have new gibs made, pour new bearings, knives, motor, etc.

Blog Entries
    Awesome! That is sweet!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Very nice!

How far do you travel to find all these machines? You end up with many rare finds.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Very nice!

How far do you travel to find all these machines? You end up with many rare finds.
    It really depends, use to drive further, but now I would rather have stuff shipped if possible, as I have better things to do than drive all over the place.

How do you sharpen the knives?

That thing is wider than my first jointer was long! Looks like you've got it back in good working condition, minus the guard

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That thing is wider than my first jointer was long! Looks like you've got it back in good working condition, minus the guard

John
    It will probably never have one on it. Although I would like to make a rear cutter head cover, accidentally knocked a few things over and sent them flying. A traditional gaurd would swing out so far, it makes it difficult to operate the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory King View Post
    How do you sharpen the knives?
    Take them to my saw sharpener.

Awesome looking machine. If that thing had a carbide helical head it would take a year to rotate all the cutters How is setting the knives on that beast?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Zara View Post
    Awesome looking machine. If that thing had a carbide helical head it would take a year to rotate all the cutters How is setting the knives on that beast?
    I set jointer knives with a board with two pencil Mark's on it. It takes me about an hour to pull knives, clean gibs, screws and pockets and set new knives.

Quick knife change, about 35 minutes.

What was the original use for that beast?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    What was the original use for that beast?
    Most 30 and 36" wide jointers were in casket factories.

I don't really know any history on this machine. I believe it stayed in the city it was built in, until I bought it.