Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 12v Hitachi cordless drill died , what should I buy?

Blog Entries

My 12v Hitachi cordless drill died , what should I buy?

My 12v Hitachi 3/8" cordless drill died. Is Hitachi out of business?
    I'd like to replace it with the same thing, batteries are still good, but I can't find it.
    So what should I buy? I mostly make small models and toys so I don't need a lot of power.
    Thanks
    Last edited by dennis thompson; 04-16-2020 at 3:37 PM.
    Dennis

2. I think Metabo bought Hitachi. If you are familiar with Menards stores, google Menards , they have some 12 volt Hitachi.
    Hitachi 12 volt lithium - ion cordless 3/8" drill driver kit
    Model DS10DF12 menards SKU2414410
    kit includes 2 -12 volt batteries -1-25 minute charger- case $68.52 lifetime tool warranty - 2 year battery warranty
    John Menard the owner lived next to my aunt in EuClaire , Wi. The Menard children are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Paul Menard that is the NAScar race driver is a very nice person.
    I am sure the Menards store would also ship it.

Blog Entries
    So I'll answer my own question. It looks like Metabo took over Hitachi. I can order their 12v drill with two batteries for about $100 and my Hitachi batteries will probably fit. But I can order the Ridgid 12v drill for just a little less so the price doesn't matter but with the Ridgid I also get two batteries and lifetime replacement for the batteries if they go bad. I have seen several good comments about the Ridgid here on the creek so Ridgid it will be.
    Dennis

I replaced my Hitachi 12V in December. After looking at everything available, I settled on the Milwaukee system. I find many drills too large in diameter to be comfortable in my hands, but the Milwaukee is great. So far, I really like it and the batteries seem to go a very long time on a charge.

Dennis,
    I have the ridgid and it works great. Have had batteries replaces several times, no problem. However MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER THE BATTERIES AND THE TOOL.

Blog Entries
    The lithium batteries last a lot longer than the old NiCad. I have a boat load of Milwaukee M18 batteries, at least half a dozen as old as the M18 system, and I've never had one go bad, or even have reduce capacity to the point where I've noticed.

I have the Milwaukee M12 with several of the tools and very happy.

I have Milwaukee M18 and a few M12 tools. Both work really well, especially "Fuel" (brushless) series ones.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I have both Bosch and Milwaukee 18v Li-Ion brushless drills and drivers and have only trivial complaints about each, both systems work astonishingly well. (How hard would it be to include someplace on the tool to keep a torx, phillips and Robertson drive bit handy?). I briefly had a DeWalt, but it was relatively big, heavy, and clunky and the battery life was terrible, so I ditched it.

The Ridgid was a great choice! Two of my sons use Milwaukee at work and highly praise them but their go to for home use is Ridgid. I'm a Makita fan not so much because I think they are superior in any way but because they offer a couple tools I can't get from the other manufacturers without having multipal platform's.

Blog Entries

So here's what I did

I went to Home Depot this morning intending to buy the Milwaukee for $99. I had it in my hand and noticed that a replacement battery was about $120. I then looked at a Ridgid which included a drill, an impact driver and two batteries for $99 . Given the lifetime guaranty for the tools and batteries I bought the Ridgid. I may put the impact driver, no battery just the bare tool, on Craigslist since I have never used the one I have, would a price of say $35 be OK?
    Dennis

I'd keep the impact driver, Dennis...they can be handy to have and other than the small amount of space to store it, it's not going to cost you anything to hang onto it. That's a nice set, BTW. If I didn't have the stable of drill/drivers I have, I'd seriously consider the Ridgid set, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I really use my impact driver. It is much better than the drill for driving long screws and deck screws. It is much easier on my bad wrists.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'd keep the impact driver, Dennis...they can be handy to have and other than the small amount of space to store it, it's not going to cost you anything to hang onto it. That's a nice set, BTW. If I didn't have the stable of drill/drivers I have, I'd seriously consider the Ridgid set, too.
    I guess I'll keep the Ridgid and sell other one, a Panasonic I found on the street a few years ago which I have never used,although when I tried it this morning the battery was stiil good.
    Dennis

I think that's a better plan, Dennis...keep the nice new one and unload the "found" tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...