Thread: Cleaner Finish - Tape vs. Sanding vs ??

Cleaner Finish - Tape vs. Sanding vs ??

Hey Sawmill,

Long time listener, first time caller. Please forgive me if I missed a good thread in my searches.

I've been working on an 80W Rabbit Laser for a little over a year now, mainly doing cutting but have done some engraving as well. For some items I have found a cleaner finish/crisper lines when I cover my wood pieces with tape or vinyl. Watching some laser videos on Instagram, I've seen some people leverage what looks to be a sander to take a layer of wood off after the the etch. This feels more efficient and you wouldn't have to worry about tape residue or lines for bigger engravings.

Any suggestions for mainly wood engraving/etching for consistent, cleaner looks?

Much thanks,
    tony

Blog Entries
    All depends on the surface you are engraving. If finished wood, then tape mask works (or some good finished plaques will clean up without anything).
    If I'm engraving cedar, then I mask. Way too much residue to sand, it clogs my sandpaper quick. (and I've worked with customer's presanded parts also )
    If I'm using plywood, mask is necessary as you can't sand much.

It all depends...
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thank you for your response!

Any recommendations on larger mask/tape?

what kind of wood are you engraving and is it finished wood or raw. Like is it a very smooth sanded wood or painted, clear coated.If the wood is very smooth finish or coated in anyway a damp cloth will removed any residue , also if you engrave from the bottom up a lot of the smoke is drawn away first and leave very little residue.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander