Thread: How do you sand assembled drawer boxes?

How do you sand assembled drawer boxes?

I have a bunch of already-assembled drawer boxes and need to sand the insides before spraying. I want to use my triangular-shaped power sander, but don't want that little trench you get on the adjacent surface. Festool now makes plastic edge protectors for these sanders (see photo), but they don't fit mine because it's an older model. Could I use a drywall knife or something similar to protect the surface I'm not sanding?107007290_662750071254088_5617074344826741865_o.jpg

Sure.

You could also mask off the area you don't want gouged.

Or hand sand them.

Or a card scraper.

I'd just get the new sander and edge guard and sell my old sander.

Thinking about it. Thanks for the ideas.

In the future, pre-sand the components before you assemble the drawers so you only need a few swipes by hand prior to and during finishing if finishing is going to happen. If you use a light touch with the sander you show (and maybe dial it down if that feature is on your unit) you should be able to avoid damaging adjacent areas if you take your time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Know anyone with a 3D printer? They may be able to design up an edge guard for your current sander.

Like Jim says, pre-sand. Sanding between coats of waterborne finish I do with a quarter-sheet sander.

I 3d printed a mount for my ETS-125 for sanding panel edges not long ago. The body of the triangular sander appears to be similar. I did this because I do not have space for a proper edge sander, and had a 90 doors to sand. I would pre-sand in the future as it reduces the time a lot.

ETS125_edge.jpg
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 07-10-2020 at 4:25 PM.

If you need to finish the inside, I am in the prefinish before glue-up team. I also wax any area that doesn't need glue. I find that this helps with squeeze out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    In the future, pre-sand the components before you assemble the drawers so you only need a few swipes by hand prior to and during finishing if finishing is going to happen. If you use a light touch with the sander you show (and maybe dial it down if that feature is on your unit) you should be able to avoid damaging adjacent areas if you take your time.

I do not normally pre-finish the inside of drawers but I do pre-sand them. It is a LOT easier.

It's much easier to finish inside raw drawer boxes if you can do the bottom separately, just as it is easier to do cabinets with the back off.

Blog Entries
    I go around the out side surface with my ROS since I already sanded the interior surfaces before assembly. If the finish produces some roughness on the inside, I use my ROS and clean up the corners by hand sanding.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

By way of an alternate method ... it’s always useful to know how the other side does something ...

I do not sand edges as this is a sure way to round them over. (Most of my surfaces are hand planed, and the only time I reach for a sander is when the surface must be absolutely free of any tool marks).

Drawers are always hand planed as part of their construction. Therefore the inside of the drawer never needs any sanding. The outside receives a light planing at the final fit, but usually there is little to do if the drawer front and drawer back are a snug fit, and the dovetailing is a flush fit.

The inside of the drawer is always finished with shellac and wax, never oil (it holds a smells), before the drawer bottom is added. The drawer bottom is finished in the same way, but separately (off the drawer), and then re-assembled.

In the most recently completed piece (a couple of weeks ago), here is a drawer side being tuned ..

Fine tuning the fit - Everything is glued up, but there is no finish yet as the drawer bottom will be removed for this.

Finished, with shellacked and waxed exterior (the table top has a poly finish) ...

Finishing is a final task, and how this will be done needs to be planned for at the start, not the end.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

Derek, the fit on that drawer into the apron is incredible. Almost invisible.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    I 3d printed a mount for my ETS-125 for sanding panel edges not long ago. The body of the triangular sander appears to be similar. I did this because I do not have space for a proper edge sander, and had a 90 doors to sand. I would pre-sand in the future as it reduces the time a lot.

ETS125_edge.jpg
    That is really cool, Brad! Almost looks official with the "Festool green", too

What's wrong with a block of wood and a piece of sandpaper? 3D printed parts? Why make it difficult?