Thread: Ok just had another Harbor Freight blower take a dump I go through these things once

Ok just had another Harbor Freight blower take a dump I go through these things once

Ok just had another Harbor Freight blower take a dump I go through these things once every 1.5 - 2 years plus fight the neighbors on noise.
    The set up 4" line through the wall to blower then 4" pipe straight up 15 feet. I have a box around the two motors but still lots of noise. I also would like to get more suction.

So any ideas?
    Different motor / exhaust units / piping I need to do 2 of these eventually.
    Thanks
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    Ok just had another Harbor Freight blower take a dump I go through these things once every 1.5 - 2 years plus fight the neighbors on noise.
    The set up 4" line through the wall to blower then 4" pipe straight up 15 feet. I have a box around the two motors but still lots of noise. I also would like to get more suction.

So any ideas?
    Different motor / exhaust units / piping I need to do 2 of these eventually.
    Thanks

Quite a lot of people I've seen switching to these fans lately: https://www.acinfinity.com/duct-fan-systems-1/ Much quieter and seem to pull a lot of air.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Blog Entries
    I'm still using my cheap chinese blower. It pulls about 75% or so of what the HF unit does. I think the HF units vary a bit. I've one that I use as designed for my woodworking. It's over 10 yrs old now and while I don't use every day, it did a lot of work for about 4 or 5 years. I would mark down these as expendibles and expect 1 to 2 yrs out of any of them if you are using 8 hours a day..
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

My inline blower is 22 years old and was about $350 when I bought it. You'll get better results if you go to a 6" or 8" duct before and after the blower. Inline blowers are also very quiet compared to the type you've been buying.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

My 2 garage blowers, inside a cheap patio storage box-
    blwr1.jpg

fully stuffed with insulation
    blwr2.jpg
    blwr3.jpg

the 2 into 1 box below didn't work, even with anti-backflow louvers on each outlet
    one blower would push air back thru the 2nd blower's outlet.
    The blowers are near the front of the garage---
    blwr4.jpg

--and what I did was run the outlets into these 2 storage boxes
    by the front of the garage, 20' away...
    blwr5.jpg

inside is cheap briquettes- where the hose goes in I've put in a piece
    of one of those 4-for-a-dollar furnace filters, the exit hole has briquettes
    piled up to cover the hole, and some 1/2" screen to keep it everything in...
    On the outer edge I have an old 'good' furnace filter leaned against the
    exit holes- doesn't do much but doesn't hurt either
    blwr6.jpg

When standing next to these boxes, with either or both blowers running,
    you can only hear the blowers 20' away, the exiting air noise is effectively zero...

10' away from the blowers in the opposite direction, with both blowers on
    my BIL's sound meter measures 32dB.

Been like this for 3 years now. The holes on the sides of the box provide cool air for the motors,
    and the box is hardly air tight so even packed with glass insulation, the blowers never run hot,
    even in 100° weather...

That all said, like many others I've had great luck with these blowers, my oldest of 4 is 16 years old,
    I have one of their BIG units that's 14 years old... I've had to replace 2, one just plain stopped working,
    and the very first one I bought had a bearing go noisy- still works but bothered the neighbor...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle