Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 RAS's and 1 CMS...Which 2 to Keep?

2 RAS's and 1 CMS...Which 2 to Keep?

I have 2 high-end RAS's (10" and 12") and a nice CMS. I only want to keep 2 of the 3 for the space I have. Which 2 would you keep and why? I don't need portability, only as stationary tools in my shop. Use would be for general woodshop use and furniture making.

High end means different things. Could you be more specific?

Blog Entries
    X2.........

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    High end means different things. Could you be more specific?
    Dewalt 1030 round arm and Omga 12".

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Webster View Post
    Dewalt 1030 round arm and Omga 12".
    Nice pair of Radial Arm Saws. Only reason i'd keep a CMS is if i had to rebuild a few decks this summer--which i do, but after that i'm thinking about selling the CMS.
    earl

Let me know if you decide to get rid of the 1030. The one I have would love to meet it's twin . One set up for 90*, the other for the miter cuts.

I would keep the OMGA, as it probably has more power than the DeWalt. You don't say if either has a long arm, that also would be a consideration. I would also keep the CMS for quick cuts, and angles, assuming it is not a slider.

My 2 cents.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'd vote on getting rid of the Omga, to a Creeker, at a gloat-worthy price. You're in driving distance and gas is only $1.40/gallon here today!!
    earl

I’ve got 3 Dewalt RAS’s (4 if you count a 3 phase that is being stored in the barn because I haven’t gotten around to getting a VFD) dedicated for crosscutting/mitering, dadoing and ripping, and a 10” Makita SCMS on a Bosch gravity feed stand for when I need portability. Both of your RASs are definitely high-end. I’d try to figure out a way to keep all 3 saws, but if you absolutely must get rid of one I’d choose the CMS.

Stephen: A RAS dedicated to RIPPING???

Now, THERE's a die-hard RAS fan!

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Andy,

Yep I am. I inherited one and bought the other three at bargain prices. I don’t have a table saw, so set up each RAS along one wall with a long common table and fence. It’s similar to Frank Howarth‘s setup (YouTube). It took a while to tune each one and dial it in exactly, so I don’t like fiddling with them too much. Each saw has the correct blade for it’s purpose. I’ve never felt comfortable using a table saw and can’t justify the amount of space it would occupy in my shop. Not sure I’ll ever end up using the 3 phase, but couldn’t pass it up for $50.

My dad had a ras for ripping and molding. More than once I picked up a board in the yard after he shot it through the shop window. The molding head he used was crazy dangerous. How he still has all ten fingers is a miracle. To be fair one is missing the top 2/3 of the nail...

Ah, the good times!

Christopher,

I’ve never used a RAS for molding. I do have a Dewalt shaper head and guard (came with one of the saws), but haven’t installed or used that either. It is imperative that the correct blade be used with RASs regardless of the task. For ripping the anti-kickback pawl is essential. I know people who have been injured - some seriously - by table saws, none by a RAS. Not saying it can’t happen, but with proper tuning, the correct blade and a familiarity with the tool it is very safe. Now on the other hand, table saws, jointers and shapers...

Those are some nice saws. Is there anything the CMS can do that the radials cannot? I’d be tempted to keep the RAS’s in service and store the CMS if you need something portable. If you have the room. I know my big RAS takes up a ton of space. Out of curiosity, what is the crosscut capacity of the Omga? If you decide to sell that 1030 let me know. I’ll send my cousin to go get it.

Assuming portability isn't a factor I can't see any reason I'd keep a CMS over either of those radial arms. Omga should stay regardless.