Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing cutter inserts on jointer difficulty.

Changing cutter inserts on jointer difficulty.

I have a grizzly 8” jointer with a helical cutter head and I need to rotate a few inserts. I can’t get the screws to budge. Suggestions appreciated.

I've read where some put the right size bit in an cordless impact driver. When you do get them out, put a dab of antisieze on the bolt before reinstallation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    I have a grizzly 8” jointer with a helical cutter head and I need to rotate a few inserts. I can’t get the screws to budge. Suggestions appreciated.
    T25 bit on a cordless drill will do just fine. In severe cases a little PB blaster. Sometimes from the factory they come a little tight. When you retighten them you only need moderate hand pressure.

I read in a Powermatic manual (may or may not apply to Grizzly stuff) that some of their cutter heads use a T25P not a T25 Torx bit. If you have the T25P style screws a T25 will fit but as Powermatic warns "A T25 adaptor or drivercan round out the screw head recess. Alwaysuse a T25-Plus driver or adaptor." I don't know if this is a Byrd thing, if they still use that style screw, or if the people who make Grizzly tools also use them. Just an FYI.

If worst comes to worst break the carbide to relieve tension on the screw. Consider replacing the China made screws with proper USA, Japan or Europe made screws. Before breaking the carbide I would hit the screw head with a torch and oil a few times.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I read in a Powermatic manual (may or may not apply to Grizzly stuff) that some of their cutter heads use a T25P not a T25 Torx bit. If you have the T25P style screws a T25 will fit but as Powermatic warns "A T25 adaptor or drivercan round out the screw head recess. Alwaysuse a T25-Plus driver or adaptor." I don't know if this is a Byrd thing, if they still use that style screw, or if the people who make Grizzly tools also use them. Just an FYI.
    Byrd and Grizzly both use T25, as I've had both in the shop. That's odd that Powermatic says that, because I thought Powermatic just used Byrd heads to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Byrd and Grizzly both use T25, as I've had both in the shop. That's odd that Powermatic says that, because I thought Powermatic just used Byrd heads to begin with?
    Byrd’s instructions clearly call out T25 plus; https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...20rotating.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Byrd’s instructions clearly call out T25 plus; https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...20rotating.pdf
    I don't have one but I thought I would point it out. I'm not sure how easy it would be to tell the difference. I have never dealt with the "plus" style Torx heads so I don't know if the standard Torx bit will fit but is just a bit loose (my guess). If you're using the supplied tool it shouldn't be an issue. If not and it requires the T25P bit then I would invest in a couple of spare bits. You might want to get a torque screwdriver. Maybe not a Mountz but one to help put the screws back in at the correct torque.

A little heat from a soldering gun wouldn't hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    A little heat from a soldering gun wouldn't hurt...
    Better be one big soldering gun, that's one huge mass to heat up. I usually get tired of waiting for a gun to heat up a 12 gauge wire.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Huh, I stand corrected! I've always just used regular T25 bits and never had an issue. Pretty hard to strip a Torx head with the proper size bit.

Success. Used bit that came and attached to long handled screwdriver. Thanks for help.

Sometimes that's all it takes is more torqe. If you ever do need to break an insert to remove screw wear safety glasses. Carbide can shatter and send small fragments flying like z bullet.

What is a Torx plus driver and how does it differ from the garden variety Torx?
    Regards,

Tom

The Torx Plus has more rounded edges on the points of the bit where the normal Torx just has points on the ends of the tips.