Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodmizer MF130, a spindle moulder that can tilt 270 degrees

Woodmizer MF130, a spindle moulder that can tilt 270 degrees

I come across this while window shopping for my next spindle moulder.

interesting idea never seen a spindle moulder like this.

Omg I want one! This machine looks nice but the performance will depend on build quality. When you have a tilting spindle the ways need to be machined dead on accurate and be adjustably accurate. I would be a little leery until I could see one in person. When making cabinet doors just a small amount of runout on the spindle can affect your joint. I wonder how much this model cost? I am guessing around $25,000 which is a little steep for my blood. If I were going to spend even $10k on a shaper I would get one of the new Felder/MiniMax or SCM shapers.

However this machine has huge potential in being a godsend for matching moldings on historic homes and buildings. Imagine the ease of matching just about anything in the universe when it comes to moldings and the like.

Wow . I have been looking for another shaper,maybe I need to re think my plan.

I looked at one of those at a European show a couple years ago. It’s a really versatile and well made small shaper. I think it was around six or seven thousand euro. No idea what it would cost to get here.

The radial arm saw of shapers! Wood-Mizer bought the whole company, made in Sweden. https://woodmizer.com/us/wood-mizer-...planermoulders

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    Omg I want one! This machine looks nice but the performance will depend on build quality. When you have a tilting spindle the ways need to be machined dead on accurate and be adjustably accurate. I would be a little leery until I could see one in person. When making cabinet doors just a small amount of runout on the spindle can affect your joint. I wonder how much this model cost? I am guessing around $25,000 which is a little steep for my blood. If I were going to spend even $10k on a shaper I would get one of the new Felder/MiniMax or SCM shapers.

However this machine has huge potential in being a godsend for matching moldings on historic homes and buildings. Imagine the ease of matching just about anything in the universe when it comes to moldings and the like.
    from memory I think it is about 5000-5500 Euro on machineryseeker, not too bad for what it is. seems a bit light weight built compare to traditional spindle moulder.

It is a lightweight shaper but pretty well engineered. It has a 30 mm shaft. I don’t think you would want to run large diameter cutters on it or build doors and windows but to me would be nice small shaper suitable for furniture work. They have a bunch of accessories for different things.

Very interesting but I wonder about rigidity. Those gloves are ridiculous though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    It is a lightweight shaper but pretty well engineered. It has a 30 mm shaft. I don’t think you would want to run large diameter cutters on it or build doors and windows but to me would be nice small shaper suitable for furniture work. They have a bunch of accessories for different things.
    Who would want a shaper that you can’t build doors on? To me that is the primary reason to own one. I might be up for buying one of these though depending on the accuracy and build quality, runout, ect. That is, assuming they are under $6k.

I sent in for more info on this machine. Found some more stuff on Youtube before Woodmizer painted it. After thinking about it,it seems that the tilt /spindle movement might be excessive. What I mean is what do you actually gain after the spindle reaches the vertical position ? I think 90 degrees of movement would allow all the cuts one would need. You would just be flipping the stock instead of being able to watch the cut happening. I woud love the chance to demo one in my shop for a month though.

Looks like the Logosol unit to me however the video says Woodmizer?

As Joe mentioned it has a 30mm diameter spindle, that's a very common size, lots of tooling available as most of the world is metric.

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 04-15-2020 at 9:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    Who would want a shaper that you can’t build doors on? To me that is the primary reason to own one. I might be up for buying one of these though depending on the accuracy and build quality, runout, ect. That is, assuming they are under $6k.
    When I said doors I meant the type of doors I build on my Martin and Hofmann shapers. This shaper would be capable of cabinet and cope- stick house doors I’m sure. I was impressed with it the same way a Mafell Erica saw appeals to me. Lightweight but a capable and innovative machine. Of course it’s hard to tell about any machine looking at them at shows. The true test is always time in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I sent in for more info on this machine. Found some more stuff on Youtube before Woodmizer painted it. After thinking about it,it seems that the tilt /spindle movement might be excessive. What I mean is what do you actually gain after the spindle reaches the vertical position ? I think 90 degrees of movement would allow all the cuts one would need. You would just be flipping the stock instead of being able to watch the cut happening. I woud love the chance to demo one in my shop for a month though.
    Mike, I think that’s the interesting part of it. Tilted all the way over you can drill, mortise or even run router bits from overhead. I think the fence is fixed and the shaft moves in and out for setting cutters. I have a German book on shapers by Guido Henn. He uses this Logosol unit and his vintage Martin shaper in the book and in his DVDs. He seems pretty happy with it. If you look on Holzwerken I think he uses this shaper in some videos.
    Be interesting to see what you find on pricing. I see the Euro price at shows then always shocked at how much more it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Looks like the Logosol unit to me however the video says Woodmizer?
    Same company, Logosol has been sourcing their moulder / thicknessers form Moretens for some time now. http://moretens.com/snickerimaskiner.php

Wasn't aware of the Woodmizer acquisition, it'd be great if they started importing the full lineup of machinery.

Yeah ,still trying to wrap my head around all of the possibilities that machine opens up. I have watched that video about 4 times ,Then found another one on youtube that was not in English but showed the the original version of this machine with a bunch more of the "options". They have an X-Y table setup that is pretty cool. Ingenious design with almost limitless possibilities. That 's what happens when you decide that your shop is complete and you are done buying machines,something like this comes along....