Thread: Need help etching and cuts not lining up

Need help etching and cuts not lining up

20200411_144836 (1).jpgbadcut.jpg
    Ok here is the issue look at the cuts and on the roof how jagged the curves are. THe fact that the cut is not lining up with the etching.
    So I sent this to Epilog of what I have done..
    I have cleaned the lens, Replaced the encoder strip as itwas bad, Cleaned the encoder reader and flipped the white cable.

Epilogs response..
    The issue could be something with either the rail being bad or the x motor. What I see happening is that it isn’t holding its position in the x in order to get a straight cut going in the y.
    - Look for a loose x belt.
    - Maybe remove The x motor and see if you can feel the pulley of it to determine whether that’s loose.
    - Maybe the bearings in the rail is bad. Move the carriage every 5 inches and see if you can feel it loose?

I checked everything but can't seek to fix this.
    I thought a new set of eyes might help.
    The picture with the curved items was the second picture after the changes Epilog suggested.

Thank you
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

I've had 2 machines develop broken wires in the Y chain that run to the X motor, when that happens, all hell can break loose. My first thought when looking at the pics, was 'could be a broken wire'.

Upon inspection, I can almost guarantee that's NOT the case, you have something else going on...

Note this first pic, I put this much of your pic in Corel Paint, and I've boxed 3 of the 'shingles'--
    rf1.jpg

what I did was outline and 'cut' each shingle, and paste them separately into Corel.
    Then I put 'view' into wireframe. When in wireframe, photos become semi-transparent,
    which allows you to superimpose pics on top of each other...
    rf2.jpg
    The left 3 images are marked bottom, middle, top. But you can tell which is which from the shading.
    To the right, I've superimposed the 3, but offset them a bit,
    and to the far right, I aligned all 3...

Very small variances aside, each shingle is engraved identically, and I'm sure the shingles as sent to the laser are just as identical, only smoother..?

This helps with the troubleshooting: First, this is not what will happen with a bad connection! My machines would just mess up at random, badly, whereas your machine is taking nearly identical smooth shingles and printing out nearly identical garbage shingles, which I take to mean, the laser is doing exactly what it's told to do... My next thought would be an encoder issue, or a bad servo motor-- but even if it was a motor or encoder problem, it's highly unlikely they would mess up identical graphics identically at different coordinates...

If we look at mechanics, same again, how would a bad rail bearing (for example) make identical bad copies in different places?

Which brings me to my best guesses: Since the laser seems to be following instructions, it's getting bad instructions.... Could be something's amiss with the laser's driver, or the controller's gone bad...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Was it or did it work fine and this started all at once?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Oh yeah this just started one day not just with this file. So definitely a machine issue
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

OK just ordered the rail. I literally replaced all motors cables and anything else I had extra ov and it did not fix the issue. Reson we believe its the rail is it only acts up in the left to right movement not right to left so a bearing is probably sticking.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Matheny View Post
    Oh yeah this just started one day not just with this file. So definitely a machine issue
    I started having the same issue with my 20 year old machine.

Try this and see it it helps. Create two files (1) one with the raster images only (2) one with only the cut images.

Run the two files one after the other with the material remaining at the same register placement.

See if that fixes the problem.

How Large is the Image 12" x 24" ??

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw