Thread: Need help sourcing a drive belt

Need help sourcing a drive belt

I am finally getting back to refurbishing my Veritas Power Sharpening System (the original version, not the mk.II version available now) that I posted about a few weeks ago. I did contact Lee Valley asking for a parts diagram to help me disassemble the unit and identify the parts I need. I have not heard anything back, understandably given that their parts department is currently closed. In the mean time, I was able to completely disassemble the unit and have been able to source all the parts I need online, with exception of the drive belt. I have been searching for a “drive belt”.

The belt is completely flat on both sides. I would think a ribbed or grooved belt would also work. The belt is 11” in circumference (measured around the outside of the belt), 1/2” wide, and 1/16” thick.

Does anyone know where I could find a suitable belt? Is “drive belt” the proper term to use for this part? Is there a better term or phrase to be searching with?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. If you have a good local auto parts store, they will be able to get you something close. They will also have a measuring tool (and hopefully know how to use it) to get you the size so that you could order it from anywhere.

Alternative is https://www.mcmaster.com/drive-belts/flat-belts-5/ and measure your belt to match up. Good Luck!

it's a urethane belt. Go to your local industrial supply house. Motion Industries, Applied Industrial Technologies are two big national chains. They can get it for you. McMaster Carr can do ti also like Matt suggested.

What do you believe is wrong with the belt you have? That is a low speed application, should be pretty forgiving.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt romanowski View Post
    If you have a good local auto parts store, they will be able to get you something close. They will also have a measuring tool (and hopefully know how to use it) to get you the size so that you could order it from anywhere.

Alternative is https://www.mcmaster.com/drive-belts/flat-belts-5/ and measure your belt to match up. Good Luck!
    With your dimensions you can order premade belts in the size you need from McMaster Carr for less than $9.00 plus shipping.
    Capture1.jpg
    Look at the amount of tension adjustment and determine if you need to allow some room for adjustment.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    What do you believe is wrong with the belt you have? That is a low speed application, should be pretty forgiving.
    The belt is very hard, kinda glazed over on the inside, and is not grippy at all. Other parts of this sharpener are dry rotted and significantly cracked. While there was a bit of load to overcome due to a few bad bearings, the belt slipped constantly and would ride off the pulleys and onto the shaft (the pulley’s are flat with no lips). I’m pretty sure the belt is shot short of some miracle revitalization. Given that I have the main drive shaft removed to replace bearings, and that the drive shaft passes completely through the belt effectively trapping the belt unless the shaft is removed, I don’t see the point of trying to revitalize it when it appears I can buy a new belt for less than $10. I’ve used belt dressing in the past (not on this belt) and it seams to be a temporary solution at best.

Thanks Matt, John, Brian and Lee!

I don’t know why I didn’t think to look at McMaster-Carr. I’ll place an order for a belt this evening, I just need to see if It makes sense to order my bearings and o-rings (used as tires for the horizontal platter to ride on) from them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Thanks Matt, John, Brian and Lee!

I don’t know why I didn’t think to look at McMaster-Carr. I’ll place an order for a belt this evening, I just need to see if It makes sense to order my bearings and o-rings (used as tires for the horizontal platter to ride on) from them as well.
    I love mcmaster, but I refuse to order bearings from them. Too hard to figure out what they are sending you. I have a seller on ebay I buy a ton from. New and NOS from him.

9. If you can't replace the belt without pulling the bearings and shaft, see if you can put 2 belts in, one over the shaft, so you can cut a bad one off and then put the good one on. Might save you some future grief if it fits. Good Luck!

South Bend lathes used laced flat leather drive belts. You can buy replacements or use automotive serpentine belt flat side to pulleys. Either buy the correct length or cut one down to fit and glue or lace it in place.
    Bil lD

https://www.farmcollector.com/equipm...ce-a-flat-belt

Very interesting Bill. I did notice that McMaster-Carr sells leather belting. Out of curiosity, why would someone choose to still use a leather belt when other materials are so readily available?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Very interesting Bill. I did notice that McMaster-Carr sells leather belting. Out of curiosity, why would someone choose to still use a leather belt when other materials are so readily available?

There are over 100 years of experience and designs for the connections of leather belting. My father had to re-lace his lathe belt but it is still working good with 70 year old leather. Will the new rubber ones last that long?. The metal lacing clips make a slapping noise when in use. the lacing is almost silent. If you replace with leather it should last your lifetime any other choice may fail and force you to bend over and do awkward contortions when you are too old to be doing that kind of stuff.
    Some folks here like to keep things original and insist on paint that matchs then original colors. Some would be aghast that I tossed the plinth from my tablesaw and painted the inside.
    Bil lD

Has anybody ever used a belt conditioning spray like this:?

B556D73E-7ADA-4D8A-B45E-C41810574FCC.jpeg
    Did it help?

The belt grip works for a while then is gone by the next day or two. There is debate if leather belts should be oiled or left dry.