Thread: String line use 3

String line use 3

Now for edge work. I used one of my tailed devils (circular saw) and a chalk line to mark and saw the edges. I wasn’t up to rip sawing 8/4 hard maple. As it turned out I still had to finish the cut with a rip saw. My 6” saw boss didn’t have quite enough blade depth. Used the line to check an edge. Put a tongue depressor under each end to get a look see. Used a jack plane to clean it up. Took a few minutes to get it to what I consider just right. With the string laying flat I could run a .003 gauge under the string without moving the string. This is about what the bend of the string imparts at the corner. A .004 gauge wood hit a bit. A.006 gauge would move the string all along the edge, not drag it but just move it. I’ll call it good. It’s likely not for everyone. It works for me especially on longer work.

Thanks for these threads. I never would have thought of this.

Interesting idea. I would almost expect the string to sag slightly in the center due to the inherent weight of the string unless pulled extremely taught. But that's just me thinking out loud having never used this method. Seems interesting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Interesting idea. I would almost expect the string to sag slightly in the center due to the inherent weight of the string unless pulled extremely taught. But that's just me thinking out loud having never used this method. Seems interesting though.
    I’ve found that the set up shown works well. If you let the bob fall some as you set the line all is good. Quickest way to make the line tighter is to clamp one end and add more weight to the other end. I’ve used this method for a long time. I still use straight edges also for some things. It’s useful to have lots of tools in your kit.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I’ve found that the set up shown works well. If you let the bob fall some as you set the line all is good. Quickest way to make the line tighter is to clamp one end and add more weight to the other end. I’ve used this method for a long time. I still use straight edges also for some things. It’s useful to have lots of tools in your kit.
    Ain't that the truth.

Jim,

Thanks for a useful thread.

ken

Good post Jim. I like your ideas and pictures to show them.