Thread: Any thoughts about the PM2014

Any thoughts about the PM2014

I am seeking to replace my Nova Comet 2. Bought it 3 years ago on a whim. Now very into turning. It continues to serve me well except I am doing some larger pieces that are at its limits. I do very little spindle work and I need a smaller lathe. Partly for space considerations but also because I like to turn outside and I don’t want the lathe so big and heavy that I can’t wheel it out of the garage/shop on a pretty day.

I was originally leaning toward the Nova Saturn. But this Powermatic, currently on sale, seems to give the Nova a run for its money. It has a less powerful motor (1 hp vs 1.75) and a smaller swing. But the outboard capacity is plenty if I start doing stuff that big. I know that Powermatics are considered to be good lathes.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

When I first saw that lathe I though, "wow, another legitimate quality lathe with most of the features you'd need in a bench top lathe." Then I saw the price and actually laughed out loud. In my head I was thinking it would probably be around $1000, but at over $2k, I don't think it is worth it. Several other better lathe brands have benchtops at similar prices. Check out Oneway for example. Just my opinion...

Jon
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Never turned on that lathe, or even heard of it so take this with a grain of salt, but I agree with Jon - seems like a lot of money for a 14” lathe. Not sure how much you can turn outboard on a lathe that small due to stability issues.

I know you said space is an issue but the footprint on some larger lathes aren’t much more than the lathe you’re considering. My shop is a 9’ x 3’ portion of my garage and I have the Laguna 2436 (definitely cramped, and I keep the headstock so it doesn’t stick out but I love my lathe and don’t regret upgrading from a mini). I’d be more inclined to go bigger and splurge for the PM2020 or for that price you could get a Laguna 1836 and make/buy mobility kit. Just my 2c.
    Tom

This is quite helpful and your opinions are exactly what I am looking for. The Nova Saturn seems like a great option, 1.75 Hp, a bit heavier, 16” swing and a little longer between the centers. I will look at the Oneway. I have to look again at the Lagunas. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dan Gaylin; 04-13-2020 at 2:23 PM.

Dan, You might want to take a look at the new Nova Orion lathe on Teknatools.com web site. It's has an 18" swing, vs DVR motor and comes with a standard bed extension. I bought one in Jan. and love it. I had the Galaxi prior to the Orion but felt it was too much lathe just for my bowl turnings. Now with the standard bed extension ( when needed ) all of a sudden it's a Galaxi again. Lol. Take a look at it but it might not be what you would want at all? Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by Harold Walsh; 04-12-2020 at 7:48 PM.

Hi Harold. I have been very interested in the Orion. But it does not seem to be available yet in the US. Are you in Asia? Would love to hear your impressions of the Orion.

thanks!
    Last edited by Dan Gaylin; 04-13-2020 at 2:23 PM.

Dan, I'm in N.C. and I ordered mine in Jan. direct from Teknatool in Fla. @ !-866-748-3025. These are engineering samples which I assume means, they are preproduction models? I'm really enjoying the lathe and it certainly fits my needs. It ships by Old Dominion truck lines and I got mine within three days and they will deliver it to your door but I chose to pick mine up at the terminal in Asheville. In fact, I posted a review of the lathe on their web site. If you get the Orion I think you'll like it. Good luck.
    Last edited by Harold Walsh; 04-13-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Hi Dan. Have you made a purchase yet?
    I saw this lathe mentioned on the AAW forums and a number of experienced turners got to test one out at a meeting they were at, and they all gave it very high marks. 4.5 out of 5 he said. There's also a video on youtube by Billy Burl titled "Powermatic 2014 Lathe Review- a test and pros and cons" that was very informative. Like you, I like the smaller size, yet expandable and with the headstock that can slide seemed very useful. The power on it looked impressive for a 115V plug.
    I'd be interested to see where you landed as I plan to buy my first lathe soon.

I don't know much about it but this Rikon adjustable bed lathe looks interesting, expands from 20" to 40". Looks a lot like Laguna.
    https://www.rockler.com/rikon-70-304...promo=shopping

That is a really interesting design. I guess the top part of the bed (not including the leg assembly) slides out away from the headstock to get more swing (like an old gap bed lathe) and more length.