Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fuming QSWO question

FWW blog has a nice piece on finishing racks. Here are some racks with chicken wire that would work great for fuming lots of small parts pre-assembly.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

an update on my fuming adventure
    I had this all planned out. Wanted to make a "production run" of something just cuz. So I picked a small QSWO frame so that I could utilize all the short pieces I've accumulated. Made 16 of them. LOML is going to make some stained glass for the inserts. Was fun actually.
    20200419_170228.jpg 20200419_170203.jpg

Had my respirator, ordered the ammonia cartridges and the ammonia, and was (I thought) all set.
    My neighbor - the nurse - asked if she could have my respirator. Strike 1
    Got an email last weekend that the ammonia cartridges I ordered, that were in stock, were no longer in stock - uncertain when they would be. Strike 2.
    Got an email yesterday that the ammonia was suddenly not in stock either. Ordered cancelled by seller. Strike 3.
    Kokomo Glass is behind on their production and the glass is 2 weeks out. Strike 4 (but who's still counting?)

So here they sit: 20200507_091453.jpg And there they shall remain. Finishing is my least enjoyed part of this hobby, which is why I chose fuming for this project in the first place.

But when I get all the parts I'll post my rube goldberg setup for fuming without gloves, respirator or eye protection.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

The glass from Kokomo Glass showed up today, and the ammonia was delivered last Friday, so if it ever stops raining I'll build the tent out back and fume these things and SWMBO can then cut the glass, and I can finish them and finally get them the hell out of the shop. I'll post pics of the tent that I'll be using sans respirator and mask. I found the 28% ammonia on amazon of all places. Go figure.
    Last edited by Bill Carey; 05-19-2020 at 3:33 PM.

So fume day has arrived. Set it all up behind the shop and the tent seems to be fine - no wiffs of anything except that awful plastic smell. The bottle is still in there, with a funnel so I can pour it back in before I cut the plastic and knock the whole thing down. Anxious to see what they look like, but I can tell you right now I'm staining the 2 Lost Stickley side tables I'm making.

20200522_160616.jpg 20200522_161148.jpg

A pair of magazine caddies I fumed using 10% ammonia:

IMG_0572.jpg

Finished with a mix of BLO, beeswax, and turpentine; applied during and after assembly, before fuming.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

So my glass partner has finally torn herself away from the gardening long enough to cut the glass for 3 of the frames I made for this production run / fuming experiment. (only 13 more to go - LOL)

20200613_151215.jpg

I've decided that fuming is not for me - don't really care for the way they came out. I'll go back to pre-finishing everything before assembly. As for the prod run part of it, I found that interesting. It upped my discipline in making sure I had everything done with a particular setup before I broke it down, made me more conscious of material usage, and forced me to be more organized. All of which I'll carry over to new projects.

Now if I could just figure out what to do with 16 of these things...................
    Birthdays and Xmas I suppose.

When I first saw these, Bill, they made me think of the wall-mounted ikons that are commonly mentioned in novels, especially by Russian authors. I have never seen one but they are described as including a religious statue (or maybe a picture) with candles. According to the authors, Eastern Orthodox devotees would pray to them on bended knee.

BTW, the one on the left turned out well.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    When I first saw these, Bill, they made me think of the wall-mounted ikons that are commonly mentioned in novels, especially by Russian authors. I have never seen one but they are described as including a religious statue (or maybe a picture) with candles. According to the authors, Eastern Orthodox devotees would pray to them on bended knee.

BTW, the one on the left turned out well.

Thx Dave - first time I saw something like this was in a pottery shop used to display ridiculously expensive pottery items. I put a couple of antique hooks on one and have it by the door for my keys and wallet.

I really really like that middle one. Can't show this picture to my wife or I will be trying to make some.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    So my glass partner has finally torn herself away from the gardening long enough to cut the glass for 3 of the frames I made for this production run / fuming experiment. (only 13 more to go - LOL)

20200613_151215.jpg

I've decided that fuming is not for me - don't really care for the way they came out. I'll go back to pre-finishing everything before assembly. As for the prod run part of it, I found that interesting. It upped my discipline in making sure I had everything done with a particular setup before I broke it down, made me more conscious of material usage, and forced me to be more organized. All of which I'll carry over to new projects.

Now if I could just figure out what to do with 16 of these things...................
    Birthdays and Xmas I suppose.

Thx Ron - I made a couple with sap wood being prominent. The other one I'm going to use amber shellac and see how it looks. The hardest part of making these was getting the LOML out of the garden and into her glass shop.