Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Started On New Kitchen Table

Started On New Kitchen Table

The new kitchen table will be a modular trestle with with two end pieces/legs and a wedged stretcher between them. I haven't decided on a slab yet but I expect it will be "blind pegged" like my workbenches so the table can be expanded by changing the stretcher and the slab.

Here is the first rough cut of the feet. BTW, the base wood is Alder. I'm still doing the "yes but" about the slab.

tableFeet.jpg

The table has been in the "yes dear I'll start it in a week or so" stage for several years because it needed to do a couple of impossible things. I'm not sure I have the answer but the only way to find out is to build.

Be safe out there, hear.

ken

Go Ken. A breakfast room trestle style table just happens to be my next project as well after I finish the project I am slowly working on now. I have some old timber from a wooden water tower tank saved up in the attic of my shop to look at for use as a table but I need to see if it seems to be too soft for a user table. The table will replace one of those taller-than-it-should be breakfast tables we have (why did anyone ever invent those? Does anyone think the tall chairs are really that comfortable or handy?) and I can use the couple of left over chairs that fit the main dining table for the new table until I can address the chair issue.Looking forward to your build.
    David

Tall table is nice to keep the dogs from getting stuff off it. Doubt it would be an issue with my current mutts but I used to have a bloodhound that was incouragable.

There is that Brandon, give you that one.
    David

Ken,

Great to see you back in the shop building another Monrovian bench. Disguised as a kitchen table Will enjoy watching.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Chris,

You broke the code . I'm pretty much a two trick pony.

ken

Ken,

How did you get the better half to go along with the splayed out table legs?

Regards,

Stew

Just finished mine...the Moravian workbench, and your threads were definitely an influence. The tusk tenon really is a nice joint.
    IMG_1566.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scott lipscomb View Post
    Just finished mine...the Moravian workbench, and your threads were definitely an influence. The tusk tenon really is a nice joint.
    IMG_1566.jpg
    Scott,

Mine will not be a lot different. Nice job.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

How did you get the better half to go along with the splayed out table legs?

Regards,

Stew

Stew,

It was tough going. BTW see Scott's table.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Go Ken. A breakfast room trestle style table just happens to be my next project as well after I finish the project I am slowly working on now. I have some old timber from a wooden water tower tank saved up in the attic of my shop to look at for use as a table but I need to see if it seems to be too soft for a user table. The table will replace one of those taller-than-it-should be breakfast tables we have (why did anyone ever invent those? Does anyone think the tall chairs are really that comfortable or handy?) and I can use the couple of left over chairs that fit the main dining table for the new table until I can address the chair issue.Looking forward to your build.
    David,

I expect your tower tank wood will look better than my Alder , but to quote Darrel R. "You dance with them that bung you". Same here with the chairs until I can build a few more. I expect none of the new chairs will "match", I'm not too good or interested in building to spec.

I've the tenons rough cut on the uprights. Next up is chopping and pairing out the mortises on the feet and fitting the two.

tableFootMortise.jpg

I plan on using a bridle joint for the upper table slab support and of course a wedged tenon on each end of the stretcher.

ken

Looks as if you’re off to a good start. How do you like working with the alder so far?

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Looks as if you’re off to a good start. How do you like working with the alder so far?
    Jim,

It is nice to work both machine and hand. It may be a little soft for the slab, not because I wouldn't like it but MsBubba has been trained for machined finishes and the first thing she does is feel for "smoothness". Any thing that dented the slab would drive her nuts. I on the other hand like to feel and even see the maker's marks. I do not like bad workmanship but too perfect bores me.

BTW, before I started the table I made a small box out of the table wood just to see how it worked and finished. The Alder passed both "tests". It works easily and looks very good with just a little oil.

ken

Nice table Scott. How thick is the stretcher and the table top? Just looking at the visual relationship between your individual pieces from here while thinking about my upcoming table project.
    David

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I'm curious about Scott's table as well. Scott Did you go with de-barked live edge on the sides or is that an optical illusion? What species of wood did you use? More pictures, unless this is also posted in the projects thread.