Thread: Bandsaw purchase

Bandsaw purchase

Well, bet this has been beat to death but I gots questions...

looking at laguna LT18/20 or MM18/20 not interested in a Grizzly or Felder.
    Who makes the Laguna? I think the MM is Centuro. Is the laguna worth savings?

feed back on either is appreciated, pretty much want to be able to resaw only

Thanks, Mark

Mark,
    Yup, been beat to death for sure haha.....
    I asked the same question back in January of this year.
    I ended up with a Centauro Minimax S500p.
    I wouldn't trade it for anything else, love the machine, it sings through everything we have thrown at it it so far.
    Search my posts for all the info I received when asking the same questions..
    HTH
    John

Both those 20 saws are great.
    If your in California you could drive over to Irvine and see the Laguna saw in person.
    Jesse also has them in Eagle Rock. Last time was there he did.
    I have a 20 inch Agazzani. Anything less then a 20 inch wheel might as well be a 14.

Good Luck
    Aj

thanks, know where close to Cali, in VT-LOL... the LT20 is like 4k delivered, had my mind set on the mm20 until I saw the price of the LT20 is it worth the savings?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Both those 20 saws are great.
    If your in California you could drive over to Irvine and see the Laguna saw in person.
    Jesse also has them in Eagle Rock. Last time was there he did.
    I have a 20 inch Agazzani. Anything less then a 20 inch wheel might as well be a 14.

Good Luck

I used to have a 18 Laguna saw with the ceramic guides. I thought they were great. My current saw has the euro guides they are good definitely easier to adjust. But I’ve thought about getting the Laguna guides I think they are better. Because they scrap away pitch. The euro guides I have build up the pitch and dust.
    Thats the only difference I really know about.
    I don’t know what the price difference is worth. Minimax is a greatsaw too.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Who makes the Laguna? I think the MM is Centuro.
    The Italian-made Lagunas are/were made by ACM. I'd understood that their parent company Griggio had gone bankrupt a while back (link) so I'm not sure what the future is for them. I own the aforementioned SCM version but I'd certainly recommend either saws as they're both great.

Just confirming MM are made by Centauro.

Peter, I think ACM makes the MM now. Dave

Peter, those in your pictures are Centauro but if you look at the MM saws on the SCM website, they are labeled 540,640,740, etc, and look like ACM. Dave

David - where are you seeing this on SCM's website? I thought the entirety of MM branded stuff was shown here. Felder on the other hand, definitely looks to be sourcing some of their FB series machines from ACM's BS line.

https://www.acmitaly.it/bs-640-1-p22
    https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/products/bandsaws-c1958/bandsaw-fb-640-p2969

Peter, I'm as confused as you. the scmgroup.en site shows the ACM "40" series machines while the scmgroup.en-us shows the Centauro "00" line. I assumed the Euro site was updated but I'm guessing. Maybe someone here will clear it up. Dave

I will find out soon, btw I was told that they are replacing the s500p, with a newer model s540p

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Peter, I'm as confused as you. the scmgroup.en site shows the ACM "40" series machines while the scmgroup.en-us shows the Centauro "00" line. I assumed the Euro site was updated but I'm guessing. Maybe someone here will clear it up. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I can give you information that is about 1 1/2 years old which is when I took delivery of my MM20/s500P. It is definitely made by Centauro. Whether they have changed suppliers, I couldn't say.

If you need to know, just email SCM and they'll connect you with the rep for your territory. If it turns out to be Sam Blasco, you're in good hands.

Ah, ok the Italian SCM site has been updated with ACM products: https://www.scmgroup.com/it/scmwood/...--s-940p.61040

I wonder what happened with Centauro?

scm contract ended with Centauro, the new saw will be ACM built

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Ah, ok the Italian SCM site has been updated with ACM products: https://www.scmgroup.com/it/scmwood/...--s-940p.61040

I wonder what happened with Centauro?