Thread: Loft bed—how to hang post from ceiling

Loft bed—how to hang post from ceiling

I’m trying to build sons loft bed. Two sides will be attached to wall studs.
    this leaves one corner totally unsupported. We’d like to hang it from ceiling rather than have a post going up from floor.
    where I’m getting hung up is how to attach this post to the ceiling without doing lots of damage to finish (plaster/drywall) so this installation isn’t a giant pain to remove once we sell the house. FYI: the ceiling joists above run the width of the bed (from side to side above bed, NOT from head to toe of bed) and I can access them from attic.
    Thoughts on how to attach this to ceiling/joists to make it sturdy but not unsightly?
    thanks!F5BD3FAE-572B-4848-99CA-CB6A6E73B13B.jpgF5BD3FAE-572B-4848-99CA-CB6A6E73B13B.jpg

IIWM, I'd fasten a length of 2x6 or 2x8 on edge to the top of the ceiling joists (in the attic) placed so it spans at least 3 joists (perpendicular to them). Then I would lag screw a length of heavy steel angle iron to the side of the 2x8, passing it through a slit in the ceiling sheetrock so it extends a foot or so below the ceiling. Then I would bury the strapping inside the post, by building the post around the strap, and use a couple of bolts through holes in the strapping to attach the post. When it comes time to remove it, you only have a vee slit in the sheetrock to patch.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

How high is this bed? Think about who's going to be making the bed, and how they're going to do it. (When I say making the bed, I mean putting sheets on and off and such.) Does somebody do that by climbing up into the bed, and making the bed while they're in it? Or do you bring a stepladder in so you can stand outside the bed while you're making it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    IIWM, I'd fasten a length of 2x6 or 2x8 on edge to the top of the ceiling joists (in the attic) placed so it spans at least 3 joists (perpendicular to them). Then I would lag screw a length of heavy steel angle iron to the side of the 2x8, passing it through a slit in the ceiling sheetrock so it extends a foot or so below the ceiling. Then I would bury the strapping inside the post, by building the post around the strap, and use a couple of bolts through holes in the strapping to attach the post. When it comes time to remove it, you only have a vee slit in the sheetrock to patch.
    Instead of angle iron, use 1/2" threaded rod, it needs a smaller hole and allows for fine tuning for level. Encase the rod in your wood for decorative purposes. Repairing a 1/2" dia hole in the sheet rock would be easy.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Or use chain, connected to eyebolts at both ends. Like the threaded rod, offers adjustability. And maybe it isn't quite as industrial-looking, for a bedroom.

Consider the nautical approach with a stainless cable (or similar) and matching turn buckle. Add a rail of some sort just in case the lad experiences heavy seas

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    How high is this bed? Think about who's going to be making the bed, and how they're going to do it. (When I say making the bed, I mean putting sheets on and off and such.) Does somebody do that by climbing up into the bed, and making the bed while they're in it? Or do you bring a stepladder in so you can stand outside the bed while you're making it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    love the idea Paul.i believe this is the winner. I might use two grooves in a 4x4 post and through bolts in order to attach a metal strap instead of building post around this assembly. Thanks for all the great ideas!