Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non woodworking hints and tips

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    I like to wear button down shirts but my aging fingers don't do buttons so well any more. Solution is to just unbutton the top two buttons when taking them off and laundering. Pull them on as you would a tee shirt.
    A few years ago I bought a quality Carhart shirt with snaps instead of buttons. I look for those now although they are hard to find. They are easy to snap and real easy to take the shirt off - I just pull apart at the bottom and all the snaps come loose in an instant.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    A few years ago I bought a quality Carhart shirt with snaps instead of buttons. I look for those now although they are hard to find. They are easy to snap and real easy to take the shirt off - I just pull apart at the bottom and all the snaps come loose in an instant.
    I see Amazon has a couple of offerings with snaps. I'm leaning toward the Carhart over the "cowboy fit" Wrangler. It's been a few years err decades since my midsection would fit into anything but a relaxed fit shirt.

Two ingredient pizza crust, Greek yogurt and self rising flour. Saw this on Shotgun Red's cooking channel this weekend. Tried it today, and it was delish! Got some milk going sour, add vinegar to it to make it into buttermilk for baking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I just saw this one on tv yesterday:

To get perfect soft boiled eggs. Put a pan of water on the stove bring it to a boil. Turn off the burner and put in your eggs. Cover the pan and walk away. When the water is cool the eggs are done.
    Per ATK: 1/2" - 3/4" of boiling water in a medium saucepan, carefully lower cold medium-sized eggs in, cover and cook for 6 minutes. Take off heat and shock eggs with cold tap water. Comes out perfectly soft-boiled every time.

I’ve gotten into poaching lately: start with medium saucepan 1/2 full with water just under boiling at about 180º, strain loose parts of egg whites off through a fine mesh and transfer into a small dish or ramekin, carefully lower ramekin and egg into water and cook for 3:30 to 4:00 min, remove with a slotted strainer. This works best with very fresh eggs as the whites tend to loosen over time and don’t hold together as well. Amazingly, eggs can be poached way ahead of time and just reheated for a few seconds prior to serving.

You can make two-ingredient bread with self-rising flour and ice cream, probably similar to using Greek yogurt.

My stationary generator uses 36 oz of oil in the crank case. I buy my oil in the five quart jugs. When I change the oil, I use a quart bottle, with filler spout from a grease bottle. Put in the first quart, then refill bottle to four ounce mark and add to crank case. No over filling or spillage, plus don't have to check oil level to see if it's full yet. My generator has a pulse fuel pump, so I added a disconnect between tank and carburetor. Using a second disconnect, I made an adapter that allows generator to pull fuel directly from fuel cans. No waiting for generator to cool before refilling. For two cycle engines (using a 50:1 mix) I refill those little bottles ( 2.5oz) that you can buy oil in. It's the right amount for a gallon of fuel. To tell what kind of gas (ethanol, or non ethanol) I make a tag from a bleach bottle and zip tie it to the handle of gas can. Using a Sharpie, list the date and type of fuel. FYI, I buy my fuel line disconnects from "Bay Area Power Sports." About eleven bucks each, delivered.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 04-14-2020 at 10:05 PM.

To make a free funnel simply cut of the bottom of a plastic bottle

Now that we have can opening solved, has anyone EVER been able to actually peel open a bacon package? I now just use kitchen scissors and cut the darn thing apart.

I use a sharpie to write the sizes of wrenches and sockets needed for oil changes on mowers, chain saw, etc. Also spark plug numbers, fuel mix (for 2-cycle), and model/serial numbers on machines that I might need parts or service for. It beats looking through manuals or guessing.

Yes if you throw the package into the freezer for an hour or so. Also helps firm up the bacon if you're slicing it up for a recipe, much easier to dice.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes Candy just cuts the pack of bacon in half. Makes it easier to cook the whole pack when making BLTs.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I write the mileage for next oil change on lid from filter, and file it in dash pocket. Not only do I have mileage, but what size filter at my finger tips. Also write oil capacity of vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I write the mileage for next oil change on lid from filter, and file it in dash pocket. Not only do I have mileage, but what size filter at my finger tips. Also write oil capacity of vehicle.
    You are a smart guy.

I write the wrench size I need to remove the drain plug in the manual and/or somewhere on the machine. I have at least more than 10 machines that need oil changes. It's almost a full-time job. I never thought of writing down the capacity - I get out the manuals each time.

Identifying usage of items

When I first qualified as a pharmacist one job we had was to check the contents of drug cabinets against a stock list ,then reorder the missing drugs
    I found if you simply looked in the returns box which the nurses placed the empty drug containers there lay a evidence trail of what they had used

This principle of identifying what has been used by looking in a returns box /bin is a simple way of compiling a list of what has been used and could be applied in other situations
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 04-16-2020 at 5:43 AM.

For years I have been using a china marker to record the oil change date, mile or hours, amount of oil, filter number and wrench size under the hood or on the engine of every vehicle. For remote access I can take a picture with my phone so I don't have to look at any machine directly and now that my memory is full of cobwebs I use my phone calendar to alert me to check the information periodically.