Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Non woodworking hints and tips

Wipe your glasses or face shields with a used dryer sheet to reduce static electricity and keep dust off of the surface. This works best on plastic lenses.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Wipe your glasses or face shields with a used dryer sheet to reduce static electricity and keep dust off of the surface. This works best on plastic lenses.
    Be sure to clean your glasses/face shields with a wet solution to remove any dust or dirt first otherwise you will get lots of scratches on the plastic.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Be sure to clean your glasses/face shields with a wet solution to remove any dust or dirt first otherwise you will get lots of scratches on the plastic.
    Good tip. Another is not to use facial tissue, reported to sometimes contain bits of recycled materials that can scratch. In the optics lab if needed we cleaned with pure grain alcohol after blowing off dust with gentle puffs of air and an optics brush. Same for camera lenses. Clean only when needed!

The best I've found for plastic glasses and sunglasses, safety glasses, etc, is hold them under running water to wash off any grit then wash with soapy fingers and rinse with "fairly" hot water. Shake to remove most water drops and wipe dry with a soft cloth. With the hot water they dry almost instantly. I've been cleaning this way for 50 years.

Hmm, if they are not make of glass anymore, why do they call them "glasses"? Excuse me while I go clean my sunplastics.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

The best I've found for plastic glasses and sunglasses, safety glasses, etc, is hold them under running water to wash off any grit then wash with soapy fingers and rinse with "fairly" hot water. Shake to remove most water drops and wipe dry with a soft cloth. With the hot water they dry almost instantly. I've been cleaning this way for 50 years.
    I do this too. I don't even wipe them dry anymore and the last tiny drops don't leave any spots.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Put a UV filter on your camera lens and leave it there. You will never have to clean the camera lens again and if you get finger prints on the filter, clean it. If it gets scratched, filters are pretty cheap to replace.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Put a UV filter on your camera lens and leave it there. You will never have to clean the camera lens again and if you get finger prints on the filter, clean it. If it gets scratched, filters are pretty cheap to replace.
    True that! And might provide some impact protection for the clumsy, at least to the threaded rim of the lens. Won't fit on a microscope lens or laser optics or front-surface mirrors or my image-stabilized binocs.

I'm getting very close to finally ordering a camera drone to play with around the farm. (The Mavic Air 2 looks good.) I notice UV filters to fit those little cameras are readily available now.

JKJ

When I searched on the internet for the Material safety data sheet (MSDS) for a propriety lens cleaner I discovered the product was a 33% Isopopropyl alcohol solution. I now make my own ,purchasing the alcohol from the internet diluting it and then poring it in a small spray bottle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Or buy a set of keyless entry locks and program them all to the same code.
    A quick plug for the Schlage digital deadbolt. Very reliable and simple. The best part is that the battery lasts a long time. You enter the code and a little pin allows you to operate the bolt. We have a different digital lock on our daughter’s house where the battery must move the bolt. That sounds good on paper but we have to replace the batteries all the time.

Schlage digital locks

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    A quick plug for the Schlage digital deadbolt. Very reliable and simple. The best part is that the battery lasts a long time. You enter the code and a little pin allows you to operate the bolt. We have a different digital lock on our daughter’s house where the battery must move the bolt. That sounds good on paper but we have to replace the batteries all the time.
    I agree, I have good quality Schlage deadbolt locks on my shop and house. The 9v battery does last for years, far longer than I imagined. I disassembled one once to see how it worked. (It was about 6 years ago so I may forget some of the detail!)

Instead of moving the high mass and friction of the bolt the battery only turns a low-mass worm gear screw (made from a spring) which moves a lever into place, enabling hand power to move the heavy bolt. I think they use the spring instead of an solid screw to eliminate any possible binding or friction since the spring has some “give”.

You can set any code, of course. I really like not having to carry a key when walking down to the shop.

The company seems good too. I have maybe 8 of these and one gave problems. They sent a new lock and didn’t require returning the malfunctioning one.

As for the comment someone made about some Schlage locks being easy to pick, I haven’t been able to pick one with my set of lockpicking tools, although I don’t have trouble with many locks.

JKJ

John, I heard they are going to stop making 9 volt batteries. Haven't seen anything about why. Will you still be able to use
    the locks you have now?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    John, I heard they are going to stop making 9 volt batteries. Haven't seen anything about why. Will you still be able to use
    the locks you have now?
    Mel, if you have a link to information on this surely many of us will be interested. A quick search turns up nothing. So many things use 9v batteries it would be loss of a good money maker to stop making them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    the locks you have now?
    Where did you hear this information? Try to find the reason given for the decision? A temporary halt or some proposed ban? Maybe because kids could stick their tongues on both terminals at once?

9 volt batteries used to be made of a stack of 1.5v flat carbon cells and not usually a bundle of 6 AAAA alkaline cells. They are so widely used by consumers equipment, industry, military, scientific instruments, medical industry, and aircraft I find it difficult to believe the production would stop - billions of devices would have to be redesigned. That would be almost as bad as banning the batteries used in cell phones, tablets, and hearing aids!

I use 9-volts in dozens of things here besides locks. Even the small aircraft I flew had 9v batteries in the Emergency Locator Transmitters, although "aircraft rated" batteries were many times the cost of normal 9-volts! I read that concerns with hazardous materials like lead and cadmium caused some types of batteries to be banned in some countries but other technologies filled the gap. With new flat battery technology available and more being being developed I suspect 9 volt batteries with the same physical size but with different internals will doubtless be developed if the current battery technologies went away.

If the standard 9'volt battery went away I'm sure a replacement

I tend to go to the Battery Universary to research battery issues: https://batteryuniversity.com/ Maybe search for "banned"?

Good tip, just make sure you use a high quality UV filter if you're going to put it on a high quality lens.

The chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and if you put a crappy UV filter on the front of a good lens, you've just turned it into a crappy lens. Good brands of filters include Hoya, Tiffen, B&W and Heliopan.

Blog Entries
    Maybe because kids could stick their tongues on both terminals at once?
    That used to be my way of telling how good a battery was. Now some exercise walking out to the shop for a volt meter, that uses a 9v battery, is worth it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)