Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Non woodworking hints and tips

Non woodworking hints and tips

I thought it may be interesting to start a thread on none woodworking hints and tips

My tip told to me by an old locksmith

Powdered graphite is the traditional material for lubricating pin tumbler locks. You can even buy powdered graphite that comes in a little tube with a thin nozzle specially designed for squirting the graphite powder into the keyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G11XUvtPWD8

Let your wife pick the paint color. When you paint it the second time over, at least it won't be your fault.

Blog Entries
    Some canned foods are difficult to remove from a can without digging them out. Things like some canned dog food, refried beans, cranberry sauce and others. The problem is the solid contents create a vacuum as they are being coaxed out of the can.

This device helps:

Can Poker.jpg

It is basically a nail with a handle. The handle was drilled with a hole just a hair smaller than a 16d nail. The head was removed from the nail and the flat end inserted in the handle. The point was sharpened.

To use, remove the top of the can, turn the can upside down over a bowel or plate. Then hold the can firmly and strike the bottom of the can (like you mean it!) to make an air hole.

This procedure could be done before removing the top of the can, but be sure to have something under the can to catch any stray liquid in the can.

Be careful doing this, incorrect method can cause injury.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-10-2020 at 10:55 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just use the can opener on the bottom to make a short slit vent.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D

I usually do this Bill, but last night I opened a can of cranberry sauce and the bottom of the can was formed without a shoulder like the top was.

Jim, your tool would have come in handy then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I usually do this Bill, but last night I opened a can of cranberry sauce and the bottom of the can was formed without a shoulder like the top was.

Jim, your tool would have come in handy then.
    Bill's suggestion used to work until the cans started being made without the shoulder on the bottom. The cans stack better in the cupboard with the new bottom.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    When sautéing kale, use olive oil which makes it easier to scrape into the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    When sautéing kale, use olive oil which makes it easier to scrape into the trash.
    Spit! Sputter! Spit! Spit! SPLAT!!!!!
    (Just spit my drink just went all over the monitor.)

That was pretty dang funny Roger!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Never stand up in the cockpit when coming about.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

How many times did it take to learn that Lee? It took me 3, I'm a slow learner.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Never stand up in the cockpit when coming about.
    In a similar but lower class vein here's one that I learned the wet way: Never try to get out of a canoe when your legs have gone to sleep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    How many times did it take to learn that Lee? It took me 3, I'm a slow learner.
    Fortunately, it was another midshipman that also demonstrated a technique for rapidly abandoning ship at the same time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Never drive on the driveway, and never park on the parkway...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some canned foods are difficult to remove from a can without digging them out. Things like some canned dog food, refried beans, cranberry sauce and others. The problem is the solid contents create a vacuum as they are being coaxed out of the can.

This device helps:

Can Poker.jpg

It is basically a nail with a handle. The handle was drilled with a hole just a hair smaller than a 16d nail. The head was removed from the nail and the flat end inserted in the handle. The point was sharpened.

To use, remove the top of the can, turn the can upside down over a bowel or plate. Then hold the can firmly and strike the bottom of the can (like you mean it!) to make an air hole.

This procedure could be done before removing the top of the can, but be sure to have something under the can to catch any stray liquid in the can.

Be careful doing this, incorrect method can cause injury.

jtk
    We've had one of these for years, it's called an ice pick. My wife buys large jars of cherries, which are impossible to get the lid off of. Punch a hole in top, and presto, lid unscrews with no problem. Put a piece of tape over hole before putting into fridge. Boiled eggs. Place cold eggs in a pan with water covering them by about an inch. Place on burner, with lid on pan. When they start to boil, wait one minute and then turn burner off. Wait 16 minutes, the remove lid and run cold water over eggs till they are cool enough to handle. Leaving enough water in pan to cover eggs, replace lid and shake pan to crack shells. Using a tea spoon, peel eggs which they are still warm.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 04-11-2020 at 9:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    My wife buys large jars of cherries, which are impossible to get the lid off of. Punch a hole in top, and presto, lid unscrews with no problem.
    They must be screwing jar lids on tighter these days. It used to be everyone would ask me to remove jar lids, no problem.

Now they are so tight the only way for me to get them off is to use those rubber gripper thingamajobbies they sell in the grocery stores. It must be some kind of plot to sell us stuff we didn't used to need.

One nice thing though is they come in a four pack. Well there is no way for me to use all of them at the same time, my shoes are staying on for now, so the extra ones work nicely in the shower for a small anti-slip pad.

jtk