Thread: Garge door opener lube, with saw dust all around

Garge door opener lube, with saw dust all around

I have a screw drive garage door opener. It is supposed to have the screw lubed once a year or so. Maybe the rollers and track as well.
    Normal lube most reccomend is white lithium grease or spray on chain lube. Any thoughts considering the sawdust will stick to grease and make a nice lapping compound. I see powdered Teflon and graphite in spray cans but those do not seem like high pressure lubes for a screw jack.
    Bill D

If your door has rollers in the tracks don't lube the tracks. The roller shafts can be lubed but the rollers need the friction to "roll" instead of slide. A lot of folks do this and that door action gets progressively worse over time. I also is only a matter of time after that someone's jacket or dress makes contact with that black greasy rail too. Not sure about a screw drive but for a chain drive I would look into bike chain lube spray. They seem to clean and lube at the same time and I would think resist holding dust a bit. Good luck and full disclosure, I don't have a garage.

When the excellent local garage door company recently replaced the 1993 era Craftsman opener with a Liftmaster jack-shaft opener, they cleaned and lubricated the door hinges and a few key rub areas on the tracks with...WD40. The door is now totally silent...it was banging and creaking prior...and there's no residue. In your situation, if there's a dry lube that will work, it may be better than the typical grease..you may need to do maintenance more often, but should hopefully have less of a dust "collection", pardon the expression. But if I were you, I'd contact the manufacturer and ask their specific advice about what lubricants are valid for your particular mechanism, given your shop environment.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...