Thread: Source for solid surface scrap.

Source for solid surface scrap.

Does anyone know of an online source for smallish scraps of solid surface material? In normal times I might poke my head into a fabricators shop and try my luck, but I suspect that behavior is discouraged at the moment. Im looking for a piece about 12x16, preferably white or grey, to make a water impervious surface for my water stones to be inset into. I hoping it will help keep my stones a bit cleaner as I can periodically carry the whole board to a sink and rinse everything off.

Thanks

Call some of the shops in your area that do solid surface and ask them if they'll sell you a piece. For a sale, they'll probably let you pay by phone and then pick up just outside their place. They could lean it against the wall when you plan on coming.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

When I called a local shop a few years ago they told me they have no scrap; the offcuts get used some way or the other. But you might consider using HDPE (plastic cutting boards) for your project. You can buy various sizes on Amazon and it routes nicely although the shavings go everywhere and cling to everything unless you have DC hooked up. McMaster Carr carries a variety of plastic sheet goods, too.

John

Blog Entries
    My solution was to purchase an aftermarket floor mat in the automotive supply section of a local target. This was more than a decade ago and it is still going strong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On Stone.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	429887

It has the advantage of having a raised edge all the way around with rows of ribs to suspend the stones and catch the excess water.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you don't mind paying for it, use the search box on ebay, and type in "corian". I just checked, and there are some pieces already cut that size for sale there.

eBay is your friend

I buy Corian on eBay to use for the nut on guitars and banjos, it's available in lots of shapes and colors. One piece will last me for a long time so I haven't bought any lately.
    Zach

Andrew, try www.solidsurface.com they inventory everything from full size sheet to project drops.

I can let you have a 12 by 16 piece of Glacier White Corian, you pay the shipping. I have 3/4" thick white PVC if you prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I can let you have a 12 by 16 piece of Glacier White Corian, you pay the shipping. I have 3/4" thick white PVC if you prefer it.
    pm on its way!

I got some cutouts from a kitchen cabinet shop a few years ago. They told me they saved them to sell for a few bucks as they got a lot of requests for it. I also know that in my Lowes/HD, at the right time and place, they often have leftover sections of counter, also for a few bucks. But my first stop would be at a Habitat for Humanity Restore if you have one nearby. They've given me sections of granite countertop, and I've seen solid surface and quartz pieces there as well.

I also have some white if the other offer doesn't work out that you can have.
    Owner of Joe Modern Limited Co.
    www.joemodern.com