Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else getting phone calls wanting to buy your property?

Anyone else getting phone calls wanting to buy your property?

Not once but twice yesterday I was cold-called by humans, who both asked for me personally, wanting to know if I'd like to have an offer made on my property at my home address, which both callers knew. Normally someone knowing my address wouldn't bother me much since it's also my business, and anyone googling "engravers" in the area can get directions to and a picture of the place. But neither of these people knew this was a business address. My personal phone numbers have been unpublished since the '70's and my land line biz phone number has NEVER been published in my name. But public records being public, not exactly an impossible task to figure out I own a home and track my phone number...

Anyway, it sounds a bit predatory to me, what with half the planet unable to pay their mortgage payments...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Maybe. I get a lot of calls that I don't answer. No call gets answered if the caller is not in my contact list.

We do get letters offering to buy property from us, about every other week. The last was for some timber land that has 30 years of growth on it. They offered a little less than the land value would be if it didn't have anything on it. We get a laugh out of them, and they go right in the trash.

I guess they get it from property tax records-don't know.

We sold our first house from a cold call by a real-estate agent. They had a client who picked a number of houses in our neighborhood they liked and the agent contacted us and inquired whether we'd be interested in selling. We had been thinking of a move but hadn't made any efforts to listing. This turned out to be a painless way to sell our house. I don't recall if the agent phoned us or just knocked on our door but maybe something similar going on here?

Daily we get cards wanting to buy our house. Often they include pictures from road front (google.) Some times they even show the structure, including the brick work on structure. Notice I didn't say house. The reason is, the picture is of church next door. For fun, call them back, and explain there was no "earnest money check" included with their offer. Send me a check, and we can talk. As the saying goes "Show me the money!"

Oh yeah. It has slowed down with the pandemic, but I averaged about 8-10 calls a week, not counting mail and e-mail. I always ask them what investment seminar they recently attended, but they always play dumb.

Some calls are from Realtors who have a house in the area they recently sold, but most are calls on buying my rental properties. I usually ask what they think it is worth, and they ask what address it is, then I hang up. Very seldom do they ask about a specific property, and those are usually Realtors looking for listings.

We rarely answer the house phone, and screen them later.

There are people who specialize in selling lists of possible 'clients'.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Oh yeah. It has slowed down with the pandemic, but I averaged about 8-10 calls a week, not counting mail and e-mail. I always ask them what investment seminar they recently attended, but they always play dumb....
    I feel so left out. I've never gotten a call about buying my house and farm. I don't get robo calls on my cell phone anymore either, except maybe once a month. (I might get some one the home phone, I don't know because I never check.)

I do get calls from people wanting to buy peacocks, but maybe that's because of the ad on Craigslist. Sold a bunch of peacocks that way at $100 each.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Last time this happened to me it was a broker who to my best guess some how found me through my mother in law's obituary. He wanted to know if her house was going to be up for sale, it wasn't. But my house in the same area was being vacated by our daughter and her husband to move into their grandmother's home. So he brokered our old California residence. It worked out for everyone pretty much.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My wife hates it when we get the postcard that they will buy our house since it is in such bad shape. no need for us to do repairs or mow the lawn.
    Bil lD

I work in the real estate industry but not as an agent. This is very common in neighborhoods where there is a great demand for houses but a limited supply. If so, it is a good indicator you could sell your house for more than you think.

We hold the mortgages on four houses that we rented, then sold on contract to the long time tenants. We periodically get offers to buy out the mortgage contracts. I've never entertained that option and would not do that to our mortgagors. I'm sure they would offer just pennies on the dollar of value left on the contracts.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I forgot to mention these 2 calls showed 'wireless caller' on my caller ID. I'm a business so I answer wireless calls most times. Calls I don't answer have a city/state on the caller ID, almost all are either Google or some robot letting me know I can borrow gazillions of dollars..
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

We got a call from a realtor, who we have known for years, who had several new doctors coming to our hospital and were looking at homes. One had driven up our street to look at another home that had a "for sale" sign, saw ours and liked the looks. We got it ready to show the next day, and when we came back an hour later, the realtor was standing on the steps with a signed contract ! Should have asked a lot more.

Scared the hell out of us, as we had nowhere to go. doctor was willing to rent an apartment for up to 3 months to give us time (damn, should have asked more).

The letters we get typically have the plat number, and acreage amount in decimal points. The last one was for some 83.6ty something piece of timber land. They were offering 69k plus some odd amount of dollars. You can buy cut over timberland around here for 1k an acre, but timber growth can easily go way over the land value. They must think we're idiots, but I guess they might find some.

Once, we got a nice little handwritten note saying that they would like to buy "waterfront property at____address", listing the plat number. No price was mentioned. We have waterfront property, but that piece wasn't close to any water.

A buyer wrote me a check for a house I built in 1983. I never used a realtor, but just a sign at the road when I was getting close to being ready to sell a house. He looked it over for about 45 minutes. He drove off, not quite out of sight, turned around, drove in the driveway, and wrote me a check for it right there. Like Carey said, I probably should have asked more.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    We sold our first house from a cold call by a real-estate agent. They had a client who picked a number of houses in our neighborhood they liked and the agent contacted us and inquired whether we'd be interested in selling. We had been thinking of a move but hadn't made any efforts to listing. This turned out to be a painless way to sell our house. I don't recall if the agent phoned us or just knocked on our door but maybe something similar going on here?
    We had that happen in the mid 1990's. We lived in a vintage neighborhood that had been well cared for and where the houses were still affordable. Brick streets, white picket fences, bungalows. Real Beaver Cleaver stuff. Realtors would knock on doors to gauge interest in selling. When we relocated due to a job transfer we had three full price offers on the table two days after listing. I think we left money on the table.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

We have tons of advertisements, signs, and calls from people wanting to buy "ugly houses". My impression is that this is a result of the "flipper" movement, and people wanting to find bargains they can turn a profit on. Real estate agents are just blanketing neighborhoods with solicitations in order to boost their listings.