Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
I responded to Jim's post above yours before seeing yours. I would absolutely discourage using commercial grade DNA as a skin sanitizer. It is likely that people could use it multiple times a day and the skin absorption would be significant. If it contains methanol, the nervous system health hazard could be irreversible. I am less familiar with the toxic effects of other denaturing agents but would certainly obtain the SDS before using it daily for any purpose including woodworking applications with minimal skin contact.

BTW, I spent my career as an occupational health scientist with over 20 years at NIOSH.
I've highlighted my line about not recommending using DNA for hand sanitizer in my post above. I really wasn't suggesting using it, but I am fascinated by what proportion of methanol is absorbed through skin. The same thing about DMSO. It just amazes me that these chemicals can be absorbed through the skin, which is a pretty impervious barrier. Of course, nicotine patches, fentanyl patches, and organophosphate insecticides, organic solvents can be absorbed through the skin, which i do find fascinating.

Anyway, don't want to further hijack the thread. I've had no issues dissolving shellac with Green Kleen-Strip, and it's been my go to solvent for that. It does take a while, and I use a bottle of the mixture floating in microwaved water, but it always has worked for me.