Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Need Help With Alcohol...

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    This was discussed here awhile ago. IIRC- someone pulled up the SDS for the two Cleanstrip alcohols and the green was a higher percentage of ethanol, so healthier. Not healthy.
    I was the one who pulled the MSDS ages ago. Yes, indeed, there is dramatically more ethanol in the Green Cleanstrip denatured alcohol compared to the normal one.

>80-100% ethanol in Green Cleanstrip, with 3-7% methanol, 1-5% acetic acid, and a tiny bit of heptane and methyl isobutyl ketone
    30-60% ethanol and 30-60% methanol in regular Kleen-strip denatured alcohol (love how they give ranges), and a tiny bit of heptane and methyl isobutyl ketone.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanford Imhoff View Post
    I don't believe BEHKOL is available anymore. I concur with the Everclear recommendation.
    Product has been rebranded as Mohawk shellac reducer, Mohawk has been the parent company of Behlen, I guess they recently rebranded all the Behlen products

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    What does one do with 50-50 rubbing alcohol? I use 70% to disinfect before I poke myself because it is cheaper than the alcohol wipes (unless I am going on vacation, then I bring the little prepackaged wipes).
    Run it through the still again!

Anyone have a good source of 100% Ethanol or 99% Isopropyl alcohol that will ship to Florida?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Anyone have a good source of 100% Ethanol or 99% Isopropyl alcohol that will ship to Florida?
    Alan,
    Do you have a Safeway grocery store near you? If so, check their in-store pharmacy area for 16oz 99% Isopropyl alcohol. At my local store it was available for $2.59. It looks like the photo below:

BTW, both Walgreen's and CVS sell a 91% version of the same thing for an even lower price. I have never tried it because I've always been able to get DA or 99% IPA. I have wondered if the additional water content in the 91% would be a noticeable problem. I wonder what the water content is in Sealcoat. I know there is some because I've had the bottom of the can rust on me.

large_4f67c448-c473-4ac1-a0e3-b362b9fd8d9a.jpg
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 04-10-2020 at 9:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Alan,
    Do you have a Safeway grocery store near you? If so, check their in-store pharmacy area for 16oz 99% Isopropyl alcohol. At my local store it was available for $2.59. It looks like the photo below:

large_4f67c448-c473-4ac1-a0e3-b362b9fd8d9a.jpg
    My Safeway is out and has been out ever since all this started.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Run it through the still again!
    well that is some good thinking there!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    My Safeway is out and has been out ever since all this started.
    Well this is a long shot, at least until the crisis ends, but here goes - If you can find a printing supply place in your area that is not temporarily shut down, chances are they will stock 99% IPA. Printers use it to clean rollers. In my area, there are a couple of paper distributors that carry it alongside the paper they sell to printers. Alternatively, you could call around to a few print shops, and they might sell you a gallon from their own stock.

Another option is to check with some electronics supply places. The kinds of places that people obtain parts for homebrew computing and stuff like that. IPA is extensively used in electronics.

If ya'll lived closer, I would loan you a can.

I shipped hand sanitizer to my Sister, who is exposed to Corona patients all day long (she is shoving tubes down their throat when they can no longer breath on their own). Cost more than the hand sanitizer to ship it, and it was a pretty big bottle. I purchased a bunch before things went nuts because I wanted to put some in my classroom and also for daughters dance studio; and then everything closed down and I was sitting here with a bunch of hand sanitizer..... So I started giving it away

How much do you need for your project? I have 8 quarts of Isopropyl and 4 gallons of Alcohol fuel for stoves (Denatured from Home Depot). I use enough of it that i keep it on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Product has been rebranded as Mohawk shellac reducer, Mohawk has been the parent company of Behlen, I guess they recently rebranded all the Behlen products
    Thank you for pointing this out, wasn't aware of it. And it looks like Rockler and Woodcraft both stock it in 32oz for $12.95, so that might be the best bet for OP until Coronavirus is no longer disrupting the availability of IPA. It looks like the Mohawk product is mostly Ethanol. I do not see an indication that it will not ship to CA either.

I live in southern California and can normally purchase denatured alcohol at Home Depot in gallon cans. Certainly is not restricted for sale in CA.

Of course, they don't have any right now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Denatured alcohol (Green Kleen-strip) was readily available about a month ago. Minimal methanol (3-7%), but still some. I would think using it sporatically as hand sanitizer wouldn't even remotely come close to a toxic dose, but I'm certainly no toxicologist, and am not recommending this. Of course, drinking heavily to induce competitive inhibition of the alcohol dehydrogenase on the methanol is one approach, but I digress...

Anything like hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, or EverClear has been impossible to get in Florida for quite some time.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 04-11-2020 at 12:29 PM.

I stopped buying the big box DA because it just would not disolve the flakes. Just had to use it up for thinning shellac
    and cleaning stuff. Some of the can tops were always loose in the store. Some of the cans have "thins shellac " printed on
    the cans and nothing about dissolving .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I live in southern California and can normally purchase denatured alcohol at Home Depot in gallon cans. Certainly is not restricted for sale in CA.

Of course, they don't have any right now.

Mike
    I sure hope people are not using DNA for hand sanitizer!!!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Denatured alcohol (Green Kleen-strip) was readily available about a month ago. Minimal methanol (3-7%), but still some. I would think using it sporatically as hand sanitizer wouldn't even remotely come close to a toxic dose, but I'm certainly no toxicologist, and am not recommending this. Of course, drinking heavily to induce competitive inhibition of the alcohol dehydrogenase on the methanol is one approach, but I digress...

Anything like hydrogen peroxide, isopropyl alcohol, or EverClear has been impossible to get in Florida for quite some time.
    I responded to Jim's post above yours before seeing yours. I would absolutely discourage using commercial grade DNA as a skin sanitizer. It is likely that people could use it multiple times a day and the skin absorption would be significant. If it contains methanol, the nervous system health hazard could be irreversible. I am less familiar with the toxic effects of other denaturing agents but would certainly obtain the SDS before using it daily for any purpose including woodworking applications with minimal skin contact.

BTW, I spent my career as an occupational health scientist with over 20 years at NIOSH.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!