Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prime Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I can get everything I need from mcmaster carr the next day, don't need no stinking amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    They have TP, disinfecting wipes, feminine hygiene products, and hardware. Seems essential
    If that list is "everything I need", more power to ya.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I placed an order with Amazon for an item related to a woodworking project this past Wednesday. Expected delivery was April 17th or 18th. I got a shipping email from Amazon this afternoon that it will arrive Monday.

I won't start the project for several weeks, but I wanted to get my order in just in case it took a while to get. Amazon had the lowest price all in.

If you haven’t heard about CV19 by now, you probably don’t have to worry about getting it because you live under a rock or under a bridge.

Amazon's ripping us off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Not everyone is a news junkie. I'd almost be willing to bet at least 5% of the US population doesn't even know there's a pandemic going on...
    So that’s who all those morons out there are :-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    If that list is "everything I need", more power to ya.
    I have no use for the feminine items, or disinfectant wipes, but hardware and supplies are basically non negotiable.

I just ordered a deep socket set. Delivery Sunday. Priority item?

I do not have Prime. When I place an order I always wait till I have $25 min for free shipping. It will say free shipping will take 10 days or so. Faster shipping for extra $$$. I never pay for faster shipping, I say 75% of time I get my order in 3 or 4 days anyway. I once ordered a miter gauge late at night and it was on my door step the next morning.
    I have been buying a lot more from Home Depot.com. I can order small $$$ items shipped free to the store.

I see the point paying extra for faster shipping if it is the shipping co getting it to you faster, but kinda grinds me they just put your order on the bottom of the stack unless you pay extra for them to put your order ahead of everyone else.

I once placed an order that included a music CD that was not going to be released for 2 or 3 months. They held my whole order till it could ship with the CD. When that date came, they started the clock on taking 10 to 14 days to receive shipment. That kinda got under my skin and complained. They sent, and I received, my order next day. Cant complain about their customer service.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 04-10-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    I just ordered a deep socket set. Delivery Sunday. Priority item?
    It makes no sense what is, or is not, an item that will ship quickly. I was looking at a Makita 55" guide rail on Amazon just now. If I ordered it with Amazon as the seller the delivery date was May 2nd. However, I could order it from another Amazon seller with Prime shipping and it would be delivered Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    It makes no sense what is, or is not, an item that will ship quickly. I was looking at a Makita 55" guide rail on Amazon just now. If I ordered it with Amazon as the seller the delivery date was May 2nd. However, I could order it from another Amazon seller with Prime shipping and it would be delivered Sunday.
    There is an item I was looking to purchase tonight. It is available new and will ship right away. Also available (instock) as an open box but ship date is a month away.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Its not just priority its logistical feasibility. Non essential items are delivered fast if feasible, they are just letting us know they are not making promises because of insane demands not only on them but their supply chsin.

Items that are physically in-stock in the local facilities will likely show up with somewhat normal delivery times. Items that have to come in from a more remote location to your location may take longer because of prioritization. The volume of business that Amazon, Walmart, etc., are all doing right now is through the rood so they are adapting as best as they can with the resources they have available. Around here, a recognizable percentage of traffic on the roads is delivery vehicles that sport the Amazon logo or are known delivery partners. They are hopping! And that's in addition to what's coming via the Post Office and UPS....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    Amazon's ripping us off.
    What's your definition of "rip off"? Seems to me that is one of the most overused words these days. I've bought dozens of things from Amazon, got what I ordered usually received on the date promised, often sooner. Sometimes Amazon was the best price and delivery I could find sometimes not. On the few occasions where there was a problem it was resolved quickly and more than fairly. Can you describe how you were ripped off by Amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    What's your definition of "rip off"? Seems to me that is one of the most overused words these days. I've bought dozens of things from Amazon, got what I ordered usually received on the date promised, often sooner. Sometimes Amazon was the best price and delivery I could find sometimes not. On the few occasions where there was a problem it was resolved quickly and more than fairly. Can you describe how you were ripped off by Amazon?
    I think the rip off part is that Amazon charges $119 per year for Prime membership. One of the benefits of Prime membership is supposed to be one to two day delivery on most items marked Prime. Now, many items marked Prime aren't shipping for a week or more and almost no Prime orders are meeting the one to two day window.

I don't believe that Amazon has made any offers to extend memberships or refund money to Prime members. I suspect there will be a small, yet significant, number of Prime subscribers who won't renew due to this. There will be Prime subscribers worried that they pay for fast shipping and Amazon might have another extended period where they don't offer the one to two day shipping subscribers are paying for.

I personally don't think Amazon is doing the wrong thing by extending delivery times for many Prime items to expedite orders for essentials. (Of course, some essentials are only for healthcare now which no doubt is pissing off customers.)

Our Prime membership pays for itself very quickly each year...so honestly, I'm not worried about the small inconveniences that come with some items being delayed right now due to the global pandemic. Most of my recent orders arrived on-time or early. The skidding tongs I ordered on Monday were supposed to arrive Thursday, but they came today. Via UPS.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...