Thread: The rebirth of a Union #4

The rebirth of a Union #4

I found an old Union #4 for a few dollars a few months back and with all the current events happening right now I figured I could give it some love in my free time when I am not an "essential employee'

Rusty, looks like it may have been wrapped in newspaper at some point as there is traces of paper and print embedded in the rust on one side. Tote was cracked in half and held together with hockey tape. Odd, as I have bought another plane that was wrapped in this at one point too.
    Attachment 429822Attachment 429823

Well started with a straight razor scraper and knocked off all the loose rust. Fortunately nothing too serious and not a lot of pitting. Good news so far. Soaked most of the parts on evaporust, polished the brass caps for the handles.
    Attachment 429824Attachment 429825

The front post is was the most stubborn screw ever. I soaked for 2 days with pb blaster, I tried heat, tapping the screw, nothing would get that stud out. As careful as I was, ultimately the stud broke. I tried easy outs, my impact screw removers. Nothing would budge this miserable screw. I had to resort bring it to work and putting it on the milling machine and even then the threads didn't come loose. Needs to be retapped. Not easy finding 12-20 threaded rod but may resort to a different thread. Not sure yet.
    IMG_20200404_173008602.jpg

Tote needed some work, knob oiled up nice. Overall I'm happy with them. Not perfect, buy neither is this plane.
    IMG_20200404_161642938.jpg
    IMG_20200404_180435196.jpg

So as of tonight here is where I stand
    IMG_20200408_191636760.jpg

Far from done, but closer than when I started. I am debating not polishing out some of the metal pieces. I like the antiqued look and feel the plane keeps a little bit of it's past with it. The base will need to be repainted black and the iron needs a new bevel, buts it's plugging along.

Its not the easiest restoration I have taken on, but if I wanted easy I would have bought a new plane.
    Last edited by Jackie Outten; 04-09-2020 at 9:09 AM.

I have seen worse ones....

careful re-tapping the hole for the front knob....those are very liable to bust a side out....DAMHIKT....

Rusty Union No. 4c.JPG
    $5 Union No. 4c....the before..
    Rusty Union No. 4c, knob.JPG
    And..
    Rusty Union No. 4c, cleaned up front.JPG
    Cleaned up...
    Rusty Union No.4c, cleaned up sides...JPG
    was planing Barn wood, back then....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Not easy finding a 12-20 tap but may resort to a different thread.
    Keep checking at Victor Machinery Exchange > https://www.victornet.com/subdepartm...inch/1260.html

They are currently out of stock but they should get them back in stock eventually. It seems they are very busy right now. Must be a lot of people stuck at home ordering the odd stuff they need to do some puttering around the shop.

My drill bit order will fill out the holes in my drill indexes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, it would appear a lot, or perhaps most, of what they carry is imported and I suspect the Covid situation as well as tariffs may explain low inventories.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Jim,

I just re-read my post and I meant to say threaded rod but did say tap. My mistake.

I see the link you provided also sell 12-20 dies, which may be an option of making my own thread rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Jim, it would appear a lot, or perhaps most, of what they carry is imported and I suspect the Covid situation as well as tariffs may explain low inventories.
    True most of their stuff is from China, but on the phone the guy was telling me they were going like gangbusters with orders. Part of it was reduced staff and part was more orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Jim,

I just re-read my post and I meant to say threaded rod but did say tap. My mistake.

I see the link you provided also sell 12-20 dies, which may be an option of making my own thread rod.
    Yes, from time to time when ordering from Victornet an odd tap or die will be added to the order. Stanley uses a lot of odd sizes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)