Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Band Saw Fence and Drift

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    I'm beginning to think that regardless of drift, one will do their best to have the material tight up against the fence to get the desired cut and let the "chips fall where they may"...............
    Actually Fritz, that may be the root of the problem if you are dealing with reactive wood (see my earlier post).

This is the reason I use a shortened fence. It permits the board to open up away from the fence, and do so without creating drift.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I had to resaw quite a lot of long boards with minimal waste allowance, so when I started getting drift I went in search of a reason and a solution.

First, I went with a carbine tipped 3/4" blade (ReSaw King), the largest my bandsaw could use. That didn't cure it.

After watching several videos, I was back to adjusting the tilt angle of my upper wheel to get the blade to run in perfect alignment to remove drift. I also bought a Carter Magnetic fence and F.A.S.T (Fence AlignmentSystem Tool).

I used the Carter tools (https://www.carterproducts.com/band-...d-saw-magfence) to identify the drift angle easily and to allow me to reasaw with the Carter fence instead of my bandsaw fence without drift affecting my work piece.

After successfully resawing all my long boards, I used the Carter fence to help me micro adjust the bandsaw tilt wheel to get the blade tracking perfectly parallel to the miter slot. This then allowed me to adjust my bandsaw fence.

Now I don't have any drift and can use either fence option.

This is a never ending story it seems. What people would not think of tolerating with their tablesaw has become accepted practice for their bandsaw. A sharp blade with teeth having equal set will cut straight if it has enough tension and is properly adjusted on the wheels. What's that mean? Put the blade on the center of the upper wheel (for crowned wheels), adjust the miter slot parallel with the blade and the fence parallel with the miter slot. Done. If your saw won't cut straight after that then check the wheels to see if they are coplaner.

Adjusting the fence for drift is something you do as a short term solution for a dull blade that no longer cuts parallel with the miter slot.

John

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I had to resaw quite a lot of long boards with minimal waste allowance, so when I started getting drift I went in search of a reason and a solution.

First, I went with a carbine tipped 3/4" blade (ReSaw King), the largest my bandsaw could use. That didn't cure it.

After watching several videos, I was back to adjusting the tilt angle of my upper wheel to get the blade to run in perfect alignment to remove drift. I also bought a Carter Magnetic fence and F.A.S.T (Fence AlignmentSystem Tool).

I used the Carter tools (https://www.carterproducts.com/band-...d-saw-magfence) to identify the drift angle easily and to allow me to reasaw with the Carter fence instead of my bandsaw fence without drift affecting my work piece.

After successfully resawing all my long boards, I used the Carter fence to help me micro adjust the bandsaw tilt wheel to get the blade tracking perfectly parallel to the miter slot. This then allowed me to adjust my bandsaw fence.

Now I don't have any drift and can use either fence option.
    Sounds like a lot of effort and $ to avoid spending a couple of minutes to adjust the fence to match the drift angle which will change if you change blades or cut curves.

Yes, but it achieved the desired results and now I'm happy with my bandsaw rather than being frustrated.

If I couldn't have got the drift figured out and just cut my project, plowing on ignorantly, getting 50% of useable wood out of each piece, I would have spent 10 times more in wasted material than what the tools cost.

I've used the Carter Magfence and the FAST pieces countless times for other things, so I'm not sitting with a one time use tool.

Yes, but it achieved the desired results and now I'm happy with my bandsaw rather than being frustrated.

If I couldn't have got the drift figured out and just cut my project, plowing on ignorantly, getting 50% of useable wood out of each piece, I would have spent 10 times more in wasted material than what the tools cost.

I've used the Carter Magfence and the FAST pieces countless times for other things, so I'm not sitting with a one time use tool.
    If it works for you great but I struggle to understand how it works. As I understand it the FAST system attaches to the body of the blade without touching the teeth
    and allows you to set the fence parallel to the body of the blade. What good is that if your blade has drift and therefore does not cut parallel to the body of the blade?

Yes the FAST pieces have a magnet and a recess, to account for the teeth kerf, so it sticks to the blade. You then slide the Cater Magfence up to the FAST piece, that's on the blade, aligning it until it touches the MagFence and is parallel. Any slight touch of the FAST piece by the MagFence cause the FAST piece to wobble on the blade. Once you have the MagFence in position, you turn the magnet switches to lock it in place. You can then see the drift angle and compare the MagFence to the bandsaw fence to see how far out of alignment it is. You can then remove these two pieces, turn the saw one, make a slight adjustment of the blade tracking knob and check again.

This whole process took me about 10 minutes and I had eliminated my drift.

If I change blades and experience drift again, I just repeat.

It's nice knowing you can get to a drift free setting quickly and easily within a couple of minutes.

That's putting the cart in front of the horse. Set the blade in the middle of the top wheel and adjust the miter slot parallel with the blade. Then the fence parallel with the miter slot. If the blade doesn't cut straight and parallel with the fence adjust it slightly with the top wheel adjustment until it does. If it still doesn't cut straight then the blade is bad or the wheels need to be aligned.

What you are doing is not getting drift free settings, it's adjusting to compensate for drift. That's OK if you have a dull blade, etc. but just have to finish a project, but forces you to repeat the procedure every time you change the blade and makes the miter slot of no value. Most people wouldn't want to have to adjust the fence on their TS every time they change blades and have the miter slot of no value.

John

Blog Entries
    Neither do I. I have an after market rip guide for my bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That's putting the cart in front of the horse. Set the blade in the middle of the top wheel and adjust the miter slot parallel with the blade.
    John
    John, if this was in response to me, I understand what you are saying, but I had no joy with just putting the center of the blade in the middle of the top wheel. The blade will track to where it wants to be, based upon the alignment of that wheel, adjusting the wheel tilt changes this. Changing to a different blade would possibly require aligning again.

So your method tune the table and fence to the blade, just using the tilt wheel adjusts the tracking of the blade. You just need something as a reference to see this fine adjustment. This is what the Cater system gives me.

Thinking about the Carter FAST pieces, you could easily replicate the use of these with a small round Rare Earth magnet and a small steel ruler and use the rulers to align the fence.

Each method gets you to the desired result.

I'm happy with mine since setting it up.

Taken this afternoon.

Chris whatever works or you is fine; I'm glad you are happy with it. But your comments show you may not have given centering the blade on the upper wheel a fair shot. Of course the blade will move forward or backwards when you first put it on the upper wheel. That's why the tilt mechanisn is there; so you can adjust it so that the blade does in fact run on the center. No two blades are exactly the same, so every time you change blades you may very well have to adjust the tilt mechanism to keep the blade running there. But once you do that the blade will cut straight, or require no more than a minor forward/backwards adjustment to do so, with no need to adjust the fence for drift.

John

John, if this was in response to me, I understand what you are saying, but I had no joy with just putting the center of the blade in the middle of the top wheel. The blade will track to where it wants to be, based upon the alignment of that wheel, adjusting the wheel tilt changes this. Changing to a different blade would possibly require aligning again.

So your method tune the table and fence to the blade, just using the tilt wheel adjusts the tracking of the blade. You just need something as a reference to see this fine adjustment. This is what the Cater system gives me.

Thinking about the Carter FAST pieces, you could easily replicate the use of these with a small round Rare Earth magnet and a small steel ruler and use the rulers to align the fence.

Each method gets you to the desired result.

I'm happy with mine since setting it up.

Taken this afternoon.
    That was a sweet cut. No doubt there.

It’s only a factor if your saw is not properly adjusted or the blade needs replacement....Regards, Rod

Blog Entries
    My band saw used to have drift. I adjusted the fence to reduce it but couldn't eliminate it. It was suggested that I check out this video. Before watching the video I had never considered that band saws like table saws are assembled in a factory but not precisely aligned. Most experienced woodworkers will confirm that their table saw worked much better when it was tuned up, so why don't we all tune up a band saw to align the table with the blade. We adjust the table on our band saw to be perpendicular to the blade yet many ignore the miter slot.

You can tune your band saw following the guidance in the video. I used the process from the video on my saw and my saw became a totally different machine. I could change blades when ever I wanted and it still cut drift free. I can use my miter slot and get cross cuts at 90 degrees. I can rip pieces of wood without them pulling away from or into the fence. I can resaw without wiggling the board all over the pace to stay on the cut line.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Michael Fortune's method requires that the blade centerline runs on the upper wheel centerline- all well and good when using the same blade width all the time. In his original FWW article he said that he always uses 1/2" blades, and given that he has 8 bandsaws in his shop he could easily set each one up with a different blade width. The trick comes when changing blade widths- you need to adjust the upper wheel tilt to get the blade in the sweet spot. If using the miter slot is important to you then that is the way to go.

My saw has no miter slot and the guide setup precludes running all blades at the upper wheel's centerline, so I just adjust the fence to match the blade I am using at whatever angle works. I use this fence https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a...bandsaw-fence/ which has the advantage of being able to run on the right side of the blade when needed for bevel cut support.