Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Heart of the shop

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    For some the heart of the shop is the table saw, for others it is the lathe or the workbench, or maybe the computer or the dog or the easy chair.

For me it's the workbench, how about you?
    I use power tools in the same way that woodworkers of Olde used apprentices to do the rough donkey prep work. Finessing this into a final shape, creating the traditional joinery, and finishing are done with hand tool at a bench. That is the heart of a workshop for me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Not having a table saw. It is definitely the bandsaw. Unfortunately it is only a 14.”

I have to say workbench all the rest of the stuff allows for workarounds, but there's just no substitute for benchwork.

4. I flip flopped a little between the workbenches and the bandsaws a while before settling on the workbenches. Then I considered the vises, but was still leaning toward the workbenches and decided that since I could include the vises as a part of the bench it was a slam dunk for the benches.

The workbench. That’s where I do the most figuring, scheming, plotting and dreaming.

The jointer and planer hands down.

I don’t get through a single project without them. There is always some amount of dimensional rough lumber in a project and in most cases miles of it with the stuff I build. And pretty much where every project starts.

Now if you asked me my favorite machine that might be a different answer but you know maybe not. But probably..

You would think bench but often being my bench is laser flat and I’m anal retentive about perfect flat stock I end up doing my assembly and work on other surfaces as my bench ends up piled high with stickered material..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 04-09-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mich View Post
    The workbench. That’s where I do the most figuring, scheming, plotting and dreaming.
    Haha, thanks for the levity, I really enjoyed your comment.

Due to Covid-19 I've been working from home for 3 weeks.

During video calls I've been in the shop, sitting at the bench, away from everything else in the house.

At one point, a call participant from outside the company said "Rod are you in a shop? Can we have a tour?" That resulted in a couple of minutes of virtual shop tour. That prompted people to tell me later how much they enjoyed the break in the meeting....So yes, benches are great for scheming.......Rod.

Yea, I'm sitting here at my main bench while glue is drying on my new main bench top ... forum surfing. And also thinking about the current and other projects. I work stuff out mentally a lot before doing it on the computer and/or on the back of a napkin. Sitting in my shop is a pleasant thing as it's generally quiet because of the acoustic ceiling, the tunes are good and so is the light.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    This string reminds me of the saying "The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys".
    I have too many toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mich View Post
    Based on that definition, the heart of my workshop would be my easy chair in the den of the house!

-- Andy - Arlington TX