Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Had to be the Free Shipping

Blog Entries

It Had to be the Free Shipping

Well that plust refunds from the IRS and the California State Franchise Tax Board that got me to buy something that has been on my wish list for a long time now:

Plane & Shovel.jpg

A shovel of this quality has been on my wish list for a longer time than any plane. This one is definitely a quality shovel.

My LN #62 was purchased to be used mostly as a shooting plane years before any modern maker was producing a plane especially for use on a shooting board.

Because my right shoulder bothers me at times, a left hand shooter seemed like a better idea. My LN #62 can be used if some shooting absolutely, positively has to be done right handed.

A short foray over my oilstones and the PMv11 edge was ready. The only work on the back was to remove the burr. A few licks on the strop and into the plane. After a few very light cuts the blade was advanced to make almost effortless shavings on ash end grain:

Shooting Plane on Ash.jpg

Square from the start, a welcome addition to the shop.

Hmmm, have to move some things around. Have to start thinking about building a plane till…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Congrats on both the shovel and the shooting plane, I'll bet both will make your life easier.

ken

Congrats! You’re going to love that shooting plane. You might even find yourself cutting ends off square on purpose just so you can use it

What angle is the edge grind?

Did it come with a proper instruction manual?

Blog Entries
    According to the instructions included with the plane the bevel was ground to 25º with a 27º secondary bevel.

It was actually fairly easy honing the edge to the point of raising a burr.

Just for fun an O1 blade was also ordered. Presently it is on back order. They should be available by the end of the month.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Generally that type of digging device is called a spade-it's handle is straighter and the edge is square whereas a shovel handle is more curved and has the pointy end. A shovel "scoops", while the spade cuts. Semantics perhaps, but this group seems to appreciate the nuances of language and tool names.

Is a good looking spade. With the hard soil I have here, I use a spade much more than a shovel - keep the edge sharpened with a coarse file.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hoti View Post
    Generally that type of digging device is called a spade-it's handle is straighter and the edge is square whereas a shovel handle is more curved and has the pointy end. A shovel "scoops", while the spade cuts. Semantics perhaps, but this group seems to appreciate the nuances of language and tool names.

Is a good looking spade. With the hard soil I have here, I use a spade much more than a shovel - keep the edge sharpened with a coarse file.
    Growing up in California and learning state history in school may have given me a different perspective on this:

CA Highway Signs.png

Also playing cards might make one think of spades as having a pointy end.

jtk

I meant the shovel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I meant the shovel.
    Oh, it came with an incomplete bevel for bevel up use. It may be around 15-20º.

It was extended a little. It may be extended more after some more use.

jtk

Hopefully your wife doesn't decide to use the shovel after she sees the price tags!

All kidding aside, it looks like money well spent to me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Hopefully your wife doesn't decide to use the shovel after she sees the price tags!

All kidding aside, it looks like money well spent to me!
    Candy liked the shovel, but it is bigger that what she likes to use. She is standing next to me in my avatar image. She isn't much taller than the shovel.

jtk

Jim,

I am really curious to hear your review of the shooting plane. Thanks in advance.

Good for you Jim on the new toys! I was wondering what is your intended use of the shovel? I can't say as I've ever seen one quite like that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Jim,

I am really curious to hear your review of the shooting plane. Thanks in advance.
    So far it has been impressive, as time allows more will be written later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Good for you Jim on the new toys! I was wondering what is your intended use of the shovel? I can't say as I've ever seen one quite like that.
    My business license is for a nursery. We have a greenhouse and this year my intention is to expand our outdoor garden area.

jtk

Well -

Speaking for our shipping department....that's one ugly order to pack......!

Thanks for placing it though!

Cheers -

Rob