Thread: John Prine

John Prine

John Prine passed away today from this damn virus. He was one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time. On a personal note, my uncle was his doctor when he was growing up in Maywood, IL. Long ago in my twenties I saw him perform many times in Chicago folk clubs and dive bars. Got to know him a bit, too. A very nice man. RIP.

Only recently discovered Steve Goodman and John Prine. Very sad to hear of this. Great songwriter. Beat cancer twice. Great music and lyrics. RIP

I discovered John Prine's music some 20 years ago. Some of his folks songs are haunting, IMO. RIP.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Loved the stories he put in his songs.

One of the best lines in any song ever: "So I sat there at the table and I acted quite naive, 'cause I knew that topless lady had something up her sleeve."

I wonder if they will "cut [him] up and pass [him] all around"?

RIP, John
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

So sad. Giving me a feeling I've referred to many times-- "Bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down... and won"

Lots of sadness right now.

So much beauty he shared with us.

John your cut free now with nothing to fear of death.

Looks like I know what I’ll be listening to as I work away today.

Sad indeed. Loved John since the 70's. Drove my then high school aged son to see him in Pittsburgh at the Benedum Center about 8 or 10 years ago. Great songwriter, much loved performer, RIP, John.

"For You May see me tonight with an illegal smile, it don't cost very much, but it lasts a long while.
    Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone, I's just trying to have me some fun...

I'll see you on the flipside John. RIP.

Grandpa Was A Carpenter!

My wife is a huge fan. We saw him when he came through Austin a year or so back. Great loss. RIP.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My parents and my mother's sister all got heavily into John Prine and Steve Goodman back in the late 1970s, back when I was very young. They would see either (or both) of them whenever they came to the Philadelphia area, frequently going backstage to visit with them. They've got a handful of pictures of them with John and/or Steve.

There's a story of them and other family members waiting in the rain for a venue to open when my uncle spotted Steve; my mom called over to him, and he invited their group in through the stage door so they could get out of the rain! Heck, my parents drove Steve back to his hotel room after a show on at least one occasion, and even invited him to their house to visit. Sadly, he passed before he could take them up on that offer, so I never got to meet him or see either of them in person. But I know both of them were very welcome and approachable people; just good people all-around.

As a friend of my mom's said today, "John is in heaven now writing songs with Steve Goodman."
    And there was trouble, taking place...

And the sky is black and still now
    on the hill where the angels sing
    Ain't it funny how an old broken bottle
    looks just like a diamond ring
    But it's far far from me