Thread: Amazon's data collection efforts

Amazon's data collection efforts

Ran into this article on the BBC's website. It talks about the data Amazon collects on you. Lotta stuff I didn't know about. LINK For those of you more deeply into data privacy, it will probably be old news. But I thought it was interesting.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ran into this article on the BBC's website. It talks about the data Amazon collects on you. Lotta stuff I didn't know about. LINK For those of you more deeply into data privacy, it will probably be old news. But I thought it was interesting.
    From their recommendations, apparently they find me very confusing. I like it that way. :^)

Yup, Amazon knows what I like to buy...if they didn't, I'd hate to think what random stuff would show up on my front porch.

Now, Alexa is a whole different animal: it's not so much "what data Amazon collects", it's more "what data do you beg Amazon to take". People treat the thing like Dobby the house elf, when it's really a box with a microphone that lets you help train somebody else's AI.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    From their recommendations, apparently they find me very confusing. I like it that way. :^)

Ditto, LOL. I have a twisted sense of humor; I run pollution searches (large amounts of subject matter unrelated to my norm) to skew the data. I don't know why I think that's funny; I need to see someone . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler