Thread: How can I remove Renaissance wax?

How can I remove Renaissance wax?

I was asked to turn an urn for someone. We discussed what they wanted and the chose to leave the urn a natural color and a non-gloss finish. The urn is box elder finished with antique oil and then renaissance wax. Of course when I presented it to them they decided they would like a gloss finish. Can I successfully remove the wax finish with mineral spirits, or something else, so that I can put on a gloss finish without any issues? If so, any particular gloss finish that would work the best?

Thanks,
    Greg

I'm brainstorming, so filter this idea with what others here say. But I would use mineral spirits or denatured alcohol to strip the wax. Then I would put on 1-2 coats of blond shellac. The shellac should seal the old finish and serve as a base for the gloss finish. [Edit: This is just in case there is a trace of wax left, the shellac "should" dissolve and bond to it.]

Given the nature of your project and its importance (urn), you might want to create a test board with your original finish and try whatever solution you decide upon, on that test board.

Good luck!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-07-2020 at 9:29 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    I was asked to turn an urn for someone. We discussed what they wanted and the chose to leave the urn a natural color and a non-gloss finish. The urn is box elder finished with antique oil and then renaissance wax. Of course when I presented it to them they decided they would like a gloss finish. Can I successfully remove the wax finish with mineral spirits, or something else, so that I can put on a gloss finish without any issues? If so, any particular gloss finish that would work the best?

Thanks,
    Greg
    I used mineral spirits to remove the wax when I decided to put more coats of "danish" oil on a piece. Worked fine.

You might ask them what kind of gloss they have in mind so you don't play "bring me a rock" repeatedly. Depending on the wood, if they want a really smooth gloss you might need to apply grain filler like Aqua Coat before the finish.

I don't generally like mirror gloss finishes so I can't recommend what to use. Some people use lacquer, some use poly. I don't know what will stick directly to antique oil, some may need a thin coat of shellac first.

This is about as glossy as I get with the pores and grain visible. I apply multiple coats of oil (8-12) then buff. I like the look better than mirror gloss.

penta_jatoba_IMG_7636 - Copy.jpg

JKJ

Mineral spirits or naphtha to remove the wax. Then at least one coat of dewaxed shellac to seal down an wax left in the wood pores. Then clear coat of your choice.

Thanks everyone. Hadn't thought about the shellac which is a great idea.

Minwax Antique oil is a Danish oil (mixture of oil and varnish), so poly will work on top of it.

How many coats of oil did you apply? Reason I'm asking is if you have several coats of oil, maybe try a 3 stage buff with what you already have. I've had success buffing AO.