Thread: Wilton Woodworking Vise

Wilton Woodworking Vise

I have an old Wilton W-9-63 vise that I am just about to begin restoring not sure of the age. I believe I am missing the back plate where the 2 rods and screw go through. I believe the screw needs a cotter pin to keep in place. I reached out to Wilton to see if they have a diagram or sell parts. Does anyone have this vise and could post a picture? I am no machinist, so if I had to make a replacement could it be made out of wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Does anyone have this vise and could post a picture?
    Do a search on Ebay with your model number. Will turn up some good pictures.

I looked at eBay and there was 1 model of the vise I had, of the 4 pictures in that listing it didn't show the detail I was looking for.

David, thank you for posting these photos! Very helpful. So my vise is definitely missing that back plate. I'm thinking a piece of hardwood might make a suitable replacement.

Brian, I suspect you can use any handy material for that particular component. It's not structural; rather it's mostly for alignment as the far end of the screw and rods gets farther from the actual support piece in the middle.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim
    That's what I figured the more I look at it. I have started the restoration and hopefully it doesn't take to long and I don't mess it up. It was extremely rusty but have managed to get the vise to open about 2". Keep pumping full of penetrating oil. Then will give a good soak in Evaporust.

Totally worthy of the effort, Bryan. That's going to be a great vice for your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    The placement of the holes in that back piece need to be fairly precise to prevent binding as the vise reaches the full open position. A thin piece of metal would give you the full open capacity, where a ticker piece of material such as wood would reduce the full capacity by some amount.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you post the dimensions of the plate needed you might find that someone can make it for you. It's just a plate with three holes, right?

I don't know the dimensions since I don't have the plate. I'm just going to use wood. If it only helps with potential binding, no need to over think it.

w-9-63

IMG_4312.jpgIMG_4307.jpgJust started re-hab on mine that has been stored in my garage for the last 30 years.
    plate: 1/8 x 1 1/2 x 5 3/4
    pin: 1" long split pin
    Last edited by gordon todd; 04-23-2020 at 7:53 PM.

Thanks Gordon.

Yes, just a plate with three holes. The two bottom corners are radiused.
    Does anyone know what the paint color is? Looks a lot like Delta Tool gray.

The plate on mine is slightly bowed. I think that's from usage, not design. Probably could be thicker. maybe 3/16. The hole diameters are slightly larger than the rods but allow free movement.