Thread: Which brand CBN wheel in 2020?

Which brand CBN wheel in 2020?

I'd like to pickup a CBN wheel to replace one or both of my generic white wheels on my slow speed grinder. I looked into this almost 2 years ago and had some wheels selected on Amazon, but they're long out of stock / discontinued.

Now I'm looking at these wheels: https://woodturnerswonders.com/colle...nt=17359276868 - either a 180 or a 180/350 combo.

Any other options I should be looking at? There are quite a few brands and I can't find a thread newer than 2018 with recommendations (lots on grit, few on brand).

Wood Turners Wonders are great, I prefer the Mega Square over the 4 in 1 but thats personal choice.

I second ken Rizza at WoodTurnersWonders. He will return calls on a dime, and give some great advise. Extremely helpful and knowledgeable on the subject of CBN. He suggested the 180 grit and the 600 grit. Without going to the shop and looking, I can't remember which wheels I got. One is a Mega and the other a 4 in1. Love both of them. Call Ken, He will not steer you wrong. Best customer service out there, bar none!
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I bought mine from Woodcraft. It's fine.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    I'd like to pickup a CBN wheel to replace one or both of my generic white wheels on my slow speed grinder. I looked into this almost 2 years ago and had some wheels selected on Amazon, but they're long out of stock / discontinued.

Now I'm looking at these wheels: https://woodturnerswonders.com/colle...nt=17359276868 - either a 180 or a 180/350 combo.

Any other options I should be looking at? There are quite a few brands and I can't find a thread newer than 2018 with recommendations (lots on grit, few on brand).
    Most any brand you buy should work fine. I buy from Woodturner's Wonders and am pleased with the wheels. His wheels are machined from aluminum, somewhat lighter in weight than those made from steel. The lighter weight could be helpful if you mount two on a 1/2 hp grinder.

I do wonder if you will find the 180 and 350 too close to each other. I bought those to grits and eventually went to 80 and 180 and 600. Then I found I never used the 180, just the 80 and 600. I recently replaced both with Rizza's Mega Square wheels, a 60 and a 600.

There are different styles available. Those with the rounded edges are designed to aid in sharpening hollowing bits that are permanently mounted in a tool shaft. If not using those the radiused edges just reduce the usable wheel width. I like wheels with corners instead of radii on the edges which gives more options when grinding and sharpening special tools. Wheels are available with 1" of grit down the flat sides - I use the flat sides more than I thought I would.

JKJ

Another vote for Mega Square wheels in 80/600. The flat sides are not part of my regular sharpening routine but do some in handy. Recently I found that they worked very well for sharpening lawn mower blades.

I have them in 80/350 but I would trust John's advice of 600 being the preferred grit for the higher one.

Well, for sure, I suggest getting the `1 1/2 inch wide wheels. I have mostly D Way because they were pretty much the first ones on the market and are the heavier steel ones. The wheels from Ken are less expensive, though I don't think there is any real quality difference. Kens are more light weight. The ones I use the most are the 180 and 600. If you get just one, get the 180 as that will do almost all of the sharpening you will need. You can hone for a finer edge. I use the 600 more for fine finish cuts. Skews still need to be honed.

robo hippy

Reed,

I just read your indepth article about CBN wheels last night, it was very helpful. I have the same 'no-name' grinder that you have as well and I'm hoping to fit a 1.5 inch wheel on there.

After going through both your article, the Stumpy Nubs video and the thread on here about higher grit CBN wheel I'm now looking at the 180/600 combo. I figure I'll keep the white wheels I have and throw those on for any massive tool reshaping or sharpening of lawn tools. I think the aluminum wheels will be better for my grinder as this thing is pretty low on power to begin with.

I'm still undecided between the Mega Square and the 4-1, but probably overthinking it. Seems like the square design is the most popular option from the replies here. I haven't come up with any uses cases for the 4-1 rounded corner or back lip, atleast not for what I do. I'm sure both are massive improvements over the decade old wheels I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    Seems like the square design is the most popular option from the replies here. I haven't come up with any uses cases for the 4-1 rounded corner or back lip, at least not for what I do. I'm sure both are massive improvements over the decade old wheels I have now.
    This is an example of a tool I ground and sharpen with CBN wheels with square edges. I made it to cut recesses in the bottom of platter and bowls while the tailstock is otherwise in the way.

Dovetail_B.jpg Dovetail_A.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    I second ken Rizza at WoodTurnersWonders. He will return calls on a dime, and give some great advise. Extremely helpful and knowledgeable on the subject of CBN. He suggested the 180 grit and the 600 grit. Without going to the shop and looking, I can't remember which wheels I got. One is a Mega and the other a 4 in1. Love both of them. Call Ken, He will not steer you wrong. Best customer service out there, bar none!

bought the 1hp from Ken Rizza...it is amazing ans so was the service!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    Another vote for Mega Square wheels in 80/600. The flat sides are not part of my regular sharpening routine but do some in handy. Recently I found that they worked very well for sharpening lawn mower blades.

I have them in 80/350 but I would trust John's advice of 600 being the preferred grit for the higher one.
    I spent way too much on a CBN to put a lawnmower blade to it. I've read about fouling the abrasive if the steel is too soft, I just won't take a chance.

I have a tormek, so I'm going with a diamond wheel made to use wet; the oem stone is good for touching up, but not much good for shaping. CBN wheels are great for a slow speed grinder.
    Where did I put those band aids?

Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    I have a tormek, so I'm going with a diamond wheel made to use wet; the oem stone is good for touching up, but not much good for shaping. CBN wheels are great for a slow speed grinder.
    The Tormek is so slow at shaping I added a Tormek support bar to a 1/2 speed grinder, mostly so I could use the Tormek gouge jig for shaping. I don't know what I have the flat rest on it for this picture.

tormek_B.jpg

Blog Entries
    I also have 180 and 600 wheels. Great combo from Ken.
    Also, I have Reed's RoboRest setup. I may have been one of his first customers for that. Very handy rest. Well built and easy to use.