Thread: Where to find pull down hinges for cabinets

Where to find pull down hinges for cabinets

Hello everyone,

I am itching to do another quarantine project and decided to make a nice pull-down cabinet for my wife's birthday in June.

The goal I want to accomplish is to build a spice rack that can be pulled down from the cabinet. That way my wife can easily access the spices. (pics and gifs attached).

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a suitable pull down hinges anywhere online. Do anyone have any idea of how I can find appropriate hinges to accomplish this?

Matthew
    Attached Images Attached Images

This isn't precisely what you're looking for, but it is close. https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/wa...YaAskaEALw_wcB

The mechanism is not really a hinge, but rather a pair of pivoting links, on both sides of the pull-down. If you can't find exactly what you're looking for, it seems like you could steal the idea from this product.

Google with "Pull down shelves" for other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Geez, for $750 I'll just hire someone to hand me the spices.
    Someone is getting rich for the price some are getting on cabinet pullout/accessories.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Exactly! Almost 1k is rubbish which is why I am trying to do this myself and beside it looks like a fun challenge to accomplish while in quarantine.

I just need the hinges 😔 but can't find it anywhere in Google or Amazon. This is probably too new to be widely available.

Guess I may have to consider a different design if our search are proved fruitless.

Thank you so much for joining me in my search for a solution.

Matthew

It looks like glider hardware might offer a solution for part of the job.

Now THAT’S a cool idea. I hope you find and post that find here. Great way to reCh upper shelves!

Blog Entries
    Did you watch the installation video? Those things are totally worth $750... how else would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bennett DC View Post
    Exactly! Almost 1k is rubbish which is why I am trying to do this myself and beside it looks like a fun challenge to accomplish while in quarantine.

I just need the hinges 😔 but can't find it anywhere in Google or Amazon. This is probably too new to be widely available.

Guess I may have to consider a different design if our search are proved fruitless.

Thank you so much for joining me in my search for a solution.

Matthew
    wolf of wall street quotes 12.jpg

.........was my first thought

But seriously. 1. $750 isn't almost a grand. You'd be miffed if your paycheck was 25% lite and your boss said that's almost your full amount.
    2. I assume you'd never even thought about such a gizmo till you saw the pics or video, so there's a price to be paid for early adoption and being a trend setter.
    3. This isn't something standard or off the shelf. You can get those solutions down at the Depot for "affordable" prices everyday. But, presumably you don't want those now that you've seen. Better ideas often cost more. It's part of the reason they're better.
    4. There isn't a huge market for this, so the costs and profit aren't going to be recouped via volume. Half of my clients think these are stupid.
    5. Patents cost big $$$ to realize. The customers have to pay.
    6. A lot of what you're paying for is the design. The designer is very talented and deserves to be compensated for his time and expertise.

I understand the notion that 750 is a lot of money for a spice holder and the belief- I'm gonna be able to copy that for a song. But, this is likely one of those instances where that isn't going to happen. This thing isn't a commodity item that some marketing wank silk screened a posh logo on along with a hefty markup and then created a demand for the logo.

If you want a cheap and cheerful solution for spices close at hand without the reach , then this is your answer :

https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/Re...e-Plastic.html

This might appeal to you also - but is hard to source and isn't much less money:

https://na.panasonic.com/ca/home-bui...-system-450-mm

This is also an old standby for an often overlooked storage area:

https://www.harborcitysupply.com/haf...ck-521-61-625/

Check out Lee Valley hardware.
    Don