Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: $5k to start my woodshop

I try to keep things in the context of the original poster. He is obviously a hobbyist who is buying equipment for a garage shop. I would say that the (attempt at a humorous) example of my wife buying stuff at a store sale is waaaaaay more appropriate for the OP than a description of the efforts of some professional buying manufacturing equipment for a business. If the OP lives in the right area, he may be able to get good used equipment at a fair price. However, if he lives where I do, he may very well die of old age before he collects enough good used equipment to populate a complete shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Not everyone wants to deal with it, and I get that, but to equate a professional woodworker’s successful purchase of some nice, high level tooling for a good deal even though it wasn’t local to your wife spending extraneous money on a retail therapy outing is apple to oranges.

Dunno where you reiside exaclty Art, but in Atlanta I see good to great deals come up all the time.

A lot more if I'm willing to drive to B'ham, Greenville, Asheville or Charlotte. I also see a lot of folks that still think their $500 twenty/thirty/forty year old craftsman saw is still worth 500 bucks. So it's like everything else on the secondary market.

ATL is pretty deep in the south.

It sounds like the OP has got his answer. Based on his needs/ wants the SS sounds like it's most likely the right saw for him. When I was a teenager I would often use my father's Craftsman radial arm saw. He got it at a discount because it was a floor model and was missing a few things, like some of the guards. I can't tell you how many close calls I had with that saw. I still have it but it's been 25 years since it's been turned on. If I had two teens that I knew were going to be learning how to use a saw I most likely would opt to spend the extra money on the SS (for peace of mind) and just wait longer before getting the other tools I wanted. Granted that radial arm saw is more dangerous than a table saw but I can assure you my father did his best to show me how to use it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It sounds like the OP has got his answer. Based on his needs/ wants the SS sounds like it's most likely the right saw for him. When I was a teenager I would often use my father's Craftsman radial arm saw. He got it at a discount because it was a floor model and was missing a few things, like some of the guards. I can't tell you how many close calls I had with that saw. I still have it but it's been 25 years since it's been turned on. If I had two teens that I knew were going to be learning how to use a saw I most likely would opt to spend the extra money on the SS (for peace of mind) and just wait longer before getting the other tools I wanted. Granted that radial arm saw is more dangerous than a table saw but I can assure you my father did his best to show me how to use it correctly.

Yeah I have definitely made up my mind about getting a SS. Now I am really considering if the PCS is a little overkill for my needs, or if I would be better off just getting the contractor version instead. Looks like the motor is the same (1.75HP) in the PCS I was looking at. Factoring in the mobile base ($400 for the PCS vs $200 for the contractor) and shipping, and the contractor saw is almost $1k cheaper. I don't think I would need to opt for the cast iron wings, and the pressed steel ones that come with the contractor version would be "good enough".

I could use that money I'd save and put towards an 8" jointer, and a Dewalt 735 planer.

$200 for a mobile base. At that price I would buy some bigger wheels at HF, some angle at the iron yard and a used mig welder with flux core wire. I put my TS on 14" wheels and it moves very easy even it it weighs around 600#.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winter View Post
    Yeah I have definitely made up my mind about getting a SS. Now I am really considering if the PCS is a little overkill for my needs, or if I would be better off just getting the contractor version instead. Looks like the motor is the same (1.75HP) in the PCS I was looking at. Factoring in the mobile base ($400 for the PCS vs $200 for the contractor) and shipping, and the contractor saw is almost $1k cheaper. I don't think I would need to opt for the cast iron wings, and the pressed steel ones that come with the contractor version would be "good enough".

I could use that money I'd save and put towards an 8" jointer, and a Dewalt 735 planer.
    The folks that I have heard from wish they had gotten the cast iron wings. I've also heard several say (to which I'd agree) that the dust collection on the PCS is going to be night and day better than the contractor's version. Like I said before, if you're going to keep at this hobby, spend a little more up front, instead of buying down and then spending again.

I had a new Jet 6" jointer and it was great for the first three or four projects, but then I found that most of my real hardwoods (that didn't come s4s) were over 6". I got like $400 for it. You could probably pick up a used one for around that.

I watched Craigslist for 2 years before I was able to pick up a SS PCS, set up like I wanted. It was close to retail in price, as many of them were. I got a Felder one time, after watching CL for 6 months and driving about 1,500 miles to inspect it, put it on a pallet and then ship it home. Keep an eye out and check cities that are a reasonable drive, based on the cost of the item and the cost of your time & effort to get them.

I got a 21" Grizzly bandsaw a couple weeks ago after seeing lots of overpriced MM, Laguna and other nice bandsaws. But they all wanted too much and I didn't want to deal with the shipping hassles. I paid an extra $234 and it was put in my garage, even though I could have driven to Bellingham in about 45 minutes and picked it up.

I haven't looked at any reviews but Grizzly does have an 8" jointer for around $1300 on sale (plus shipping and sales tax). With a 735 you would be looking at a little over $2k. I personally am in the camp of don't try to cheap out thinking that you can live with something that might do the job. I often find that I quickly find the limitations and want to upgrade much sooner than I expect. It's really hard to balance that with not wanting to over spend.

A coworker has a Jet contractors saw and has been able to do pretty much everything he's wanted. It's accuracy is more than good enough for what he does. On occasion he comes over to use my 20" planer and when he has used my PM66 he notes that it just feels different. To him the extra weight and power (mine has a 3hp Baldor) gives him a feeling that the saw is more substantial. Is this a saw for "life" (do you plan on keeping it for a very long time)? If so a few hundred savings may not be worth it. But if you're plans are not to do a lot of true woodworking then it would be money not well spent going with the PCS.

Right now SS is offering either a free mobile base or over arm dust collector if you buy the PCS. So the difference in price is much less.

Yeah I have definitely made up my mind about getting a SS. Now I am really considering if the PCS is a little overkill for my needs, or if I would be better off just getting the contractor version instead. Looks like the motor is the same (1.75HP) in the PCS I was looking at. Factoring in the mobile base ($400 for the PCS vs $200 for the contractor) and shipping, and the contractor saw is almost $1k cheaper.
    I was sure I wanted the 52" SS for my garage shop, since I currently have my contractor saw on a mobile base that I made, the whole things is about 5'6" long, router table at one end. All that space to the right of the blade usually ends up as a shelf, though I could rip up to 50" or so. I've decided I'll be fine with the 36" PCS. I will do the 3HP model. And I will make an outfeed/assembly table for it. I prefer to cut down sheet goods on the floor with a straightedge anyway.

Get the cast iron wings.

I understand the attraction of getting a big cabinet saw, especially if its an investment in a business. But its different for hobbyists. I've been busier than normal the last few weeks, but still my saw hasn't actually been on and running more than 10 minutes this year. I have the SS contractor, and it does everything I need and well. Definitely get the mobile base and consider upgrading the fence. The basic fence doesn't have any tracks to which you can easily attach jigs or safety devices.

This whole woodworking thing is so dang complicated to get started.I understand when guys say to buy what you want the first time but seriously I do not know anyone who did it.I think it is important to be able to start making stuff and grow into this hobby. This means you need a certain 'critical mass' of tools to begin,most of which may be upgraded later if needed. On this note I think we give to much advice based on where we ended up instead of what is the base level of quality to start at. My suggestion for the base starting point as far as machines go would be a contractor saw with a decent fence,any 6'' jointer with flat tables,and a portable planer. I would then buy basic hand tools like a four chisel set like the Narex or old blue handle marples . A good block plane and a #3 or 4 handplane.Buy a starret combination square right away . A RO sander would be nice as well. Some basic clamps like 4 pipe clamps and 6 12 f style clamps. A router along the lines of a Bosch 1617 or porter cable 690. At this point there is enough "mass'' to do a lot. From here it would be add machines and tool as needed. I would look to buy the three machines used for two solid reasons: one it far easier to sell and recoup most or all of what you paid if/when you upgrade. 2. These machines are relatively easy to find used simply because everyone starts with them,there are more of them out there. Good luck.
    Last edited by Mike Kees; 04-14-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Scott, I feel your pain, but look at the SS as a 10-15 year tool investment. Don't short change yourself in the short term. If this eats a little more of your current budget, right now, then something else will just have to wait a little longer.

Also, you can see from many responses, in this thread, used SS PCS hold a very high second hand value, so if you find, a couple of years from now, that this wasn't for you, you'll probably be able to recoup a lot of your initial investment and there will be a market for your saw, I don't think this holds quite so true for the Contractor model.

Just my thoughts.

Hi: I live nearby (West Chester, PA) so thought I would comment. I look at Craigslist a lot and its mostly overpriced, so I would definitely start out low with offers. Used equipment should be 50-70% cheaper than new.
    One of my best purchases has been the Dewalt 611 router. There are also a lot of “pop up” tables you can make or buy that will provide a router table function when needed.
    Eagle America is a great local source for router bits and assorted products. They are a local company with good products and quick delivery.
    As someone mentioned, look at the planer/jointer combos. Getting a straight, flat piece of wood to start with will be your biggest challenge!
    Another option is to pay extra to have the lumber mill surface the rough lumber for you, at least in the beginning.
    I would love to have a Saw Stop, but not sure I would spend 50% of my budget on it.
    If you want to come look at my 2 car garage shop sometime and get some ideas, feel free to come by (with a mask on, of course 😉.)

If you are buying rough lumber, go right to the 8” jointer.

I don't have as much experience as most of these guys, but I just started my woodshop over the last year or so. Everyone's financial situation is different, but I tend to have a decent amount left over every month after paying my bills and investing in my retirement.

Like everyone said, it depends a lot on what you want to do. I do mostly home improvement work, shelves and crates and boxes for my wife and I've been dabbling in furniture building because it interest me. My used market is crap in my area, so after a few months of waiting or being outbid I decided just to do some research and buy some new items.

I installed a sub panel in my garage myself (The builder originally only had the 1 15A circuit required by code for your garage) and ran 90A of 220 to it and a few outlets around the garage. Knock out your power requirements up front when it won't be such a pain.

Dust collection was an important area for me. I have asthma and my lungs get irritated quite easily by the dust, so I ended up putting a little more money into this. I built the Clearvue 1800 kit. Honestly, it was fun to build and set up. I think I did a pretty good job and was able to run the pipes around to the equipment in a neat fashion. I also got one of the ceiling filter jobs, and between the two I don't have any sitting dust unless I'm doing something that requires me to remove the blade guard suction hose from the table saw. My Dylos meter hangs out around 500 PM2.5.

I went with the Sawstop PCS 3hp table saw. This was half need, half want. I've always wanted a cabinet saw, and my dad always wanted one as well and was never able to afford it. I half got it for me, and half got it for him to come over and use as well. I feel like it's a long term investment and I have no regrets. The thing was easy to put together, and came dialed in straight from the factory. It was a lot of money, but zero regrets from me on this one.

I don't make any huge projects, but I wanted to use rough lumber because it's cheaper and locally sourced. I bought the Wahuda 8 inch bench Jointer and their 13 inch bench Planer. I mounted them both to a mobile cart I built that has a flipping top. So they are permanently mounted and only use the footprint of one tool. I've been very happy with both so far. I haven't had to joint/plane anything longer than 5 feet yet though, but my Dad gifted me various hand planes I can use to assist if there is ever a need. (No. 4, 60 1/2, 62 and 7 Planes)

I ended up spending quite a bit on clamps, I found a set of 6 Bessey clamps used on craigs list for 100$. 2 60's , 2 40's and 2 24's. I feel like I stole them after looking up their prices new online. I bought a bunch of Irwin clamps that were on sale on black Friday, and to be honest most of the rest of them are from Harbor Freight.

On black Friday I ended up buying a Dewalt packaged deal at Lowes that had the orbital sander, compact router, miter saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw and a few other odds and ends for dirt cheap. So that helped round things out a little too.

My next purchase will probably be a router table, I bought the router I want and haven't had the inclination to order anything else now that the CoronaVirus has struck.

I've felt inclined to get a Bandsaw as well, but I haven't had the need yet. I haven't had to do any resawing and most of the curved work I've done can be accomplished with a jig saw.

So long winded response to say you shouldn't pass up obvious good used deals, but at the end of the day you'll probably be happiest if you just buy what you want. You don't have to have everything Day 1.

Hope that helps,

Phil
    Last edited by PHILIP MACHIN; 04-15-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    This whole woodworking thing is so dang complicated to get started.I understand when guys say to buy what you want the first time but seriously I do not know anyone who did it.I think it is important to be able to start making stuff and grow into this hobby. This means you need a certain 'critical mass' of tools to begin,most of which may be upgraded later if needed. On this note I think we give to much advice based on where we ended up instead of what is the base level of quality to start at. My suggestion for the base starting point as far as machines go would be a contractor saw with a decent fence,any 6'' jointer with flat tables,and a portable planer. I would then buy basic hand tools like a four chisel set like the Narex or old blue handle marples . A good block plane and a #3 or 4 handplane.Buy a starret combination square right away . A RO sander would be nice as well. Some basic clamps like 4 pipe clamps and 6 12 f style clamps. A router along the lines of a Bosch 1617 or porter cable 690. At this point there is enough "mass'' to do a lot. From here it would be add machines and tool as needed. I would look to buy the three machines used for two solid reasons: one it far easier to sell and recoup most or all of what you paid if/when you upgrade. 2. These machines are relatively easy to find used simply because everyone starts with them,there are more of them out there. Good luck.
    On another related note... I don't know about everyone else, but I don't generally know where an interest will take me when I start into it. Maybe most folks do. I might start out down a path and wind up settling on some weird vaguely related and highly specialized offshoot of it. It has happened with a variety of interests over the decades. As a result an approach something like Mike is suggesting here works well for me. It helps avoid going whole hog on a lot of stuff that winds up being the wrong thing for where my evolving interests take me.