Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishtail Chisel - Useful?

Fishtail Chisel - Useful?

I'm working on a project that will utilize half blind dovetails in a drawer front. Clearing the waste in the back corners of the sockets looks like a challenge. I don't have any skew chisels, but it looks like a fishtail might be a good solution. This will be my first foray into half blind dovetails. Is a fishtail worth it? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    For me a couple of shop ground skew chisels work fine. What helps more than fishtail or skew chisels is a kerf making tool:

Kerf Maker.jpg

Derek made his own.

Before the Bontz model, mine was just an old piece of saw blade. They take a lot of the work out of half blinds.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I'm working on a project that will utilize half blind dovetails in a drawer front. Clearing the waste in the back corners of the sockets looks like a challenge. I don't have any skew chisels, but it looks like a fishtail might be a good solution. This will be my first foray into half blind dovetails. Is a fishtail worth it? Inquiring minds want to know.

Rob,

I have several, both Japanese and shop made. I use them because I have 'em. A couple of shop made skew chisels would work just as well and I expect Jim's kerf tool with a skew chisel would be more help.

ken

As Jim said, I use it (LN), because I have it. I believe the LN is O1, and has lower hardness, so it is easier to put a razor edge on. But, for getting the last bits out of a half-blind DT, my knife works just as well. Also, although I don't recall it it was on SMC or another forum, I over cut my half-blind DTs, so the waste to remove not much.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Like the others, I have it so I use it. I think a narrow left and right skew chisel would be more convenient...depending on the size of your dovetails. And I agree, the Bontz kerfing tool helps a lot.

I made a skew chisel for this purpose in 1978, but I soon went back to my old way. I use a 1/4 chisel to get into the corner. I use dovetail angles in the 8 degree range so the chisel doesn't cut too much into the back of the socket. I recommend holding off on a special chisel at least until you have a feel for making the joint. A 3/16 or an 1/8 inch chisel will work as well.

I also don't recommend a Kerf extender, knife, chisel, or whatever. I usually overcut the lines on the inside of the drawer. However with good technique it is not hard to cut the joint entirely with chisel.

I have the lie Nielsen one. I also made one from an old Stanley. I like them and use them. The skews (which I also have) are annoying to me because you need two. Also, I just find the fishtails more ergonomic for coming into the corners.

The lie Nielsen one I have is small and delicate so it works well in smaller pins where you might be concerned about splitting thin walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have the lie Nielsen one. I also made one from an old Stanley. I like them and use them. The skews (which I also have) are annoying to me because you need two. Also, I just find the fishtails more ergonomic for coming into the corners.

The lie Nielsen one I have is small and delicate so it works well in smaller pins where you might be concerned about splitting thin walls.
    What size is your LN Prashun?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Never needed one to do half blinds. Might be helpful, but I do not own one. If you cannot get into that corner, grab a smaller chisel.

3/8".

The acute angle of the fishtail chisel does really make it easy to poke right into the corner to release the waste. The clearance lets me get into the corner without harming the walls.

I probably only appreciate this chisel because I worked without it for a while. I second Warren's advice on that. Perhaps try making one on own before buying one. This will help inform whether you like it, and what size you might prefer.

BTW, does anyone else clip the inside corners of their half blind tails?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Rob, everyone has an opinion. None make it right or wrong - just preferences. Are they necessary? No ... but that is not the question.

In my opinion, I find the fishtail incredibly useful in clearing sockets.

Here are a selection: top down - Koyamaichi (the dubious honour of being the first made by Mr Koyama); Blue Spruce - fantastic, and one I made from a 1/4" Veritas O1 chisel ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Fishtail chisels

I have used them but, like Tony and Warren, I always end going back to my old standby, deep overcuts with the saw and using a narrow chisel to clean up if/when necessary. It works fine for me. That said, it would be incredibly hypocritical of me to argue against the acquisition of a new tool (especially a chisel).
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I have used skew chisels and a narrow chisel (3 mm). Like Prashun, I also put a slight bevel on the tailboard so removing every bit of waste is not necessary (bevel is hidden). I did just receive a Blue Spruce chisel like Derek's as a gift but have yet to use it, so have no grounds to argue against a new tool either.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I have the 3/8" Blue Spruce and also left and right skews. I don't use either very much - I find that I can clean out a half blind socket well with a narrow regular chisel. If you want to save some money, pick up two cheap 1/4" (or smaller) chisels and grind them to a left and right skew. Then see if you use them. If so, get a fishtail just because it's only one chisel instead of two.

If you want to purchase the skews I have, I'll sell them for $10 each plus postage. They're made from Irwin blue handle 1/4" chisels.

Mike

[Taylor Tools makes a kerf extender that's a bit less expensive than the Bontz or the Crosman. Like the Cosman, just available with the 0.025" blade.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-07-2020 at 9:08 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi must have bought up a huge stock of Crown handles.

Using my name for the tool, and copied Rob Cosman's design (although Ron also posted this design around the same time).

Regards from Perth

Derek