Thread: OT: Craigs list real estate question

OT: Craigs list real estate question

I have been looking for a retirement home for several years to get ideas on pricing and location in California. Only looking near the coast were the weather is better but prices are higher.
    I notice on craigslist 10-25% of the homes for sale are way out of the geographic area. maybe only 100-200 miles but 4-5 hours away. At least most of them are this side of the Missisippii! Some are not even that close. Is this all over or just a California thing. Maybe people think Californians would not mind a 500 mile commute?
    is this common on cragslsit to try to sell non movable things hundreds of miles away? My Nephew told me in New Zealand no one uses craigslist but there are many ads posted of cars for sale and houses for rent. These tend to based in Asia or maybe Hawaii. Who is going to fly to a new continent to buy a car or house?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-06-2020 at 11:27 PM.

It might be that seller in Nevada or wherever is looking for somebody exactly like you: retired, so commute distance is not relevant; and looking for better bang for the dollar than you get in California.

If Redfin covers the area you're interested in it provides much better searching tools than CL. CL publishes whatever people submit.

Adjust the CL search for distance from you.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have had to adjust the distance to lock out far away stuff. But I still occasionally search without the blinders on and it is interesting to see such distant ads.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    I have been looking for a retirement home for several years to get ideas on pricing and location in California. Only looking near the coast were the weather is better but prices are higher.
    What part of the coast?

At one time my dream was to live somewhere along the Mendocino to the Crescent City area. Some how we ended up in Washington.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)