Thread: How To Cut This Burl

How To Cut This Burl

So my brother-in-law brought home this burl/log and I’d like to know how best to cut it to get a couple of interesting pieces out of it.

He thinks it is Hickory but we aren’t 100%.

Anyhow, any and all tips and tricks are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike67B37988-57DE-462C-8D40-F441169BC828.jpgCCDD42E9-73DD-4691-AB90-7C497FCDA757.jpg

Make a flat spot for a faceplate in the side grain; then turn away!
    Or; Send to me and I'll examine it!
    Where did I put those band aids?

So you’re saying to leave it as is and not cut it in to 2 pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollis View Post
    So you’re saying to leave it as is and not cut it in to 2 pieces?
    There are lots of ways to proceed and none of them are always the best. Cutting first into two pieces is one way. Burls are sometimes hidden treasure and sometimes trash inside. I personally like to cut them in half first and see what's inside before deciding what to do next. Sometimes I can get a a couple of nice, largish pieces and sometimes I can get a number of nice smaller pieces. Sometimes I get firewood.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    There are lots of ways to proceed and none of them are always the best. Cutting first into two pieces is one way. Burls are sometimes hidden treasure and sometimes trash inside. I personally like to cut them in half first and see what's inside before deciding what to do next. Sometimes I can get a a couple of nice, largish pieces and sometimes I can get a number of nice smaller pieces. Sometimes I get firewood.

JKJ
    So do you recommend I cut it in half lengthwise, or across the long direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollis View Post
    So do you recommend I cut it in half lengthwise, or across the long direction?
    Think first about what you might make from it, visualizing it cut one way then the other, then decide and take a chance. Note that the "burly" figure is usually in just a layer below the bark, sometimes thicker, sometimes thinner. And depending on how it grew, the unburled limb wood you see on the end in some cases may be a straight-grained cylinder all the way down the middle.

What you want to make may help you decide. As big a bowl as possible, Christmas ornaments, pen blanks, ?? If you want bowls, for example, cutting it across the long direction will give you pith in the middle which may crack as it dries. Since the burl is not spherical, cutting it down the axis of the limb might "waste" some burled figure as you shape a round bowl and leave a lot of unfigured end grain on two sides of the bowl. You might consider the cross section shape too, if you want a end-grain vase, you could let the shape of the burl somewhat dictate the shape of the vessel. You didn't mention how large it is - a big burl might be a challenge to turn whole if not experienced or don't have the lathe for it.

Cutting up burls is usually a toss of the dice! Fortunately, that one looks pretty nice.

I've got some cherry burls growing in my woods I've been watching for years. At the moment, the biggest looks like it's about 24" across. Maybe some day...

JKJ

I don't have any hickory trees around here but I do have cherry. That looks very similar to cherry burls I have. If it is cherry I would expect there to be voids and bark inside it and be happy if you don't find any. I can't think of much that looks nicer to me that a hollow form with voids but I know my skill is not anywhere near that level to safely deal with that yet.

Like john I have (it's on my neighbor's property but he said I could have it) a huge cherry burl. It's at least 36" in diameter. But until I feel that I'm ready for the challenge I'm letting it continue to grow.

I got a section of Mesquite with 2 mistletoe burls that looked similar. I went to a friend and cut "biscuits" about 2" thick and turned natural edge pieces. The burl was exceptional. Don't know if you would be that lucky, but you might make a cut and see what you got.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    I got a section of Mesquite with 2 mistletoe burls that looked similar. I went to a friend and cut "biscuits" about 2" thick and turned natural edge pieces. The burl was exceptional. Don't know if you would be that lucky, but you might make a cut and see what you got.
    What do you mean by "biscuits"? Thanks,
    Tom