Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new til for the planes

Need a new til for the planes

Ever since the Tool Cabinet has been finished...the planes are feeling neglected....
    Plane Til rework, start up.JPG
    The old Hammer Til has been removed, today. Unable to salvaged it, is out by the fire pit. Thinking about a "Bookcase" with doors....maybe with plexiglass "lights" in the doors? Maybe a few drawers, to hold the block plane crowd in check? Instead of standing these up, maybe sit them down on a series of shelves. Planes could sit on that foam drawer protector stuff you can buy for toolbox drawers?

Bought a bit of lumber, today....some 1 x 10 x 6's and a couple 1 x 4 x 6' planks....1 x 4s will get ripped down for stiles and rails for a pair of doors...Will wait and see what hinges will look/work the best. Will be a shelf of sorts, for the drawers to slide in on....then the first of several "main" shelves....to sit a few planes on....starting with the longest/heaviest on the first shelf....then work my way up.

need to sit this up, where the doors from it and the tool cabinet will get along...I can move the plane til back quite a bit, if need be. There is over 2' of space, front to back. have to allow for that swing.

"demo" of the old plane til starts tomorrow...will need a parking space for the planes to sit in...as the bench may be very busy....thinking dovetails at the corners? Shelves using sliding dovetails?

Stay tuned..the cussing has only just begun

Steven,

From your experience, my own, and others posting here, it looks like a person is never really "completely done" with shop organization, storage.

One question: are you going to be able to salvage and reuse some of the lumber in your existing til set up? Salvaging lumber is something I do a lot of, which is why I have a lot of "Semi OK" lumber around that l haven't used. Throwing stuff away is not my strong point.

Regards,

Stew

We'll see what I can do.....Hammer till was de-laminating...and was glued as well as screwed together. Would be nice IF I could reuse the plywood of the plane til....for the back of the new one....have to see what else I can scrounge....so far, a bunch of screws....will see what I can do for drawer parts...may even have some for dividers in the drawers.

Will find out tomorrow....as soon as a parking spot for all them planes can be found....

Ok...Moose & Squirrel delivered The Plan...
    New Plane Til, THE Plan.JPG
    And the old til has been moved out of the way...
    New Plane Til, cleared off.JPG
    Planes have been stashed out of "harm's way"....not sure I'd trust this group, though..
    New Plane Til, Blocks stashed.JPG
    Liable to come back later, and find 21 of them sitting there....bad as Mice...

Goal was to allow the right hand door of the Tool Cabinet to swing fully opened...
    New Plane Til, full swing.JPG
    I used a sharpie to mark where the door swings through at...so I know where the left hand edge of the Plane Til will be..
    New Plane Til, door swings.JPG
    I don't need the plane til right out near the edge....it can sit back a bit. Will need to sit up on 1" thick "feet" pads....to clear the top of the bench.

Wonder IF I'll need to "pull a Permit" for this?
    Stay tuned

( Idea: Rotate the old til, split it down the middle, hinge the "halves" to the sides of the Saw Til...Add a plywood "cover" to the top....dust seal. We'll see..)

Hmmm...ok...I also wanted to find out how far I could reach to the right.....and made a mark there..
    New Plane Til, limit of reach.JPG
    So...about 30" wide. Will need to set this up on 1" thick foot pads, so I have clearance over the top of the bench....

Thinking through dovetails at the corners...and sliding dovetails to hold the shelves.....3 drawers along the bottom, means two dividers between them.

Will get the case built first....then start on the 2 doors. And, 3 drawers. May drill a few access holes in the bottom shelf...so I can drive a few screws into the foot pads....have a lot of weight coming in...need this so it will not tip over. Holes would be just big enough for the driver to drive the screws.

New Plane Til, Empty old one.JPG
    Now, about this thing...assembled with lots of glue back in the day. Thinking I could split this down the middle, rotate it 180 degrees, and hinge this to the saw til...add a panel across the top as a dust cover...and add a latch. May have to hang the longer mitre saws elsewhere....and saw the saw til for regular handsaws? That way, they will stay dust free....

stay tuned....not much else going on in my shop....

hauled a few things to the shop after Lunch....
    New Plane Til, 2 planks.JPG
    2 planks...will be enough for the top, bottom and both sides,,,and a tad left over..
    New Plane Til, 2 saws.JPG
    A pair of D8 crosscut saws...Panel saw is a 10ppi, full length is an 11 ppi...gave both a work out...
    New Plane Til, opened for business.JPG
    Learning to work out of the Tool Cabinet,,,some things will stay out, for now..
    New Plane Til, tools in use.JPG
    Decided to at least try "Tails" first....not a big fan, though..
    New Plane Til, some empty spots.JPG
    A few things missing? Laid out the tails...
    New Plane Til, tails laid out.JPG

Then saw the tails...
    New Plane Til, tails sawn.JPG
    then chop the tails..
    New Plane Til, tail chopping.JPG
    Stay tuned..

finally...tails were done..
    New Plane Til, Tails done.JPG
    Then use these to lay out the pins...
    New Plane Til, pin layout.JPG
    More handsaw work..trying to leave the lines, and cut on the waste side of them...
    New Plane Til, Pins sawn.JPG
    Broom Handle was taking too long...too many teeth...No. 4 only needed about 8 full length strokes. Then the chopping again..
    New Plane Til, chop half way.JPG
    Chop down 1/2 way from this face...then flip things over, and finish up..
    New Plane Til, pins done.JPG
    Now, the main reason I leave the lines....I can trim up to them, as I fit the joint together,,,
    New Plane Til, dry fit, meh.JPG
    Couple lines were sawn away...loose fit. meh...guess this will be the hidden corner..
    New Plane Til, new home.JPG
    Busy day, making sawdust..til the cramps started up..
    New Plane Til, making sawdust.JPG
    Next 3 corners will be done Pins first...I get better results that way.

Head count for shelves....came up one board short So, when I go to get that plywood for the back...I'll pick up one more board.
    Closed up the doors to the Cabinet, and called it a day....Uncle Charles in still in the house...and my legs...

Stay tuned..

Hmmm...well, too late now...What was labeled as 1 x 10s in the racks....turned out to be 1 x 8s....Picked up an actual 1 x 10 today....not a biggie...can rip the "wide" board down to match the others. Might even get rid of a bad edge?

Only 1/4" x 4' x 4' plywood available....was pine. had it cut down to 30" x 4', to fit in my van.

Not starting out too well....rained all the way to Lowes, and back....get everything into the house..rain stops....Trying to tell me something?

Will continue on with the 1 x 8s....and try some more dovetails...after Lunch has settled....wish me luck...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-09-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Somehow, when doing Pins first...things seem to go quicker....
    New Plane Til, ready for shelves.JPG
    Ready to work on some shelves...Got 3 corners done, today...
    New Plane Til, 2 dry fits.JPG
    2 dry fits..
    New Plane Til, 3rd dry fit.JPG
    3rd corner dry fit..
    New Plane Til, last corner fitted.JPG
    And the last corner dry fitted. Was a chippy kind of day..
    New Plane Til, a chippy day.JPG
    Some of these even bounced off of me....

Will see how tomorrow goes....may have a few shelves ready...
    Stay tuned

Getting ready for a glue-up..after Supper....cussing levels will require ear plugs....almost to the level of the first 10 minutes of "Full Metal Jacket" .....

Sliding dovetails have been milled....Shelves cut to length and pins milled on the ends. Dividers between the 3 drawers have been milled, and ready to go.
    New Plane Til, drawer dividers done.JPG
    Once the bottom of the case is driven down home into the corner joint, the dividers will slide right in...Grain direction has been maintained throughout...so I can apply glue to all the parts.
    New Plane Til, grooves lined up.JPG
    At least, these lined up....looks like a row of bow ties....
    Too many joints to glue, too many clamps to use....not enough hands....it might get ugly in the shop, later...

Stay tuned...

Well, it be in the clamps..
    New Plane Til, stage 5.JPG
    A LOT of clamps...
    New Plane Til, stage 6.JPG
    I think the clamps might weigh more than the case does?
    Think I'll go work on a different "case" ....
    New Plane Til, stage 7.JPG
    I'm whopped...

More fun today....removing that forest of clamps, and installing a plywood back....while squaring up the case.

Doors: Do I cover the drawers, or stop the doors just above them....? Hinges? Latch?

Drawers: Inset, or...overlay...? Handles?

Install foot pads....to the case, then down in place....drawers will be in the way....may extend the pads a bit...front and back.

Plexiglass: rebates or grooves?

Clamps came off, nothing blew up...reinforced the joints for the shelves with a couple screws on each end...set it aside.
    New Plane Til, out of the clamps.JPG
    While I brought the plywood down to the shop...and sliced of a bit...
    New Plane Til, trim a back.JPG
    Yes, I wore those goggles, saw was kicking a lot of junk up into my face. Then, made a square corner..
    New Plane Til, one square corner.JPG
    Then used a LONG pipe clamp to pull the case into square..
    New Plane Til, pull case to squared.JPG
    More glue and screws. then attach those foot pads to the bottom of the case...then the case was set where it belonged....making sure the door from the Tool Cabinet will swing by..
    then just load it up...
    New Plane Til, load it up.JPG
    Still need 3 drawers built...and either one or two doors made. I even found a Centerpiece for the top of the case...
    New Plane Til, centerpiece.JPG
    22" long woodie....Auburn Tool Co., Auburn NY. #81...I think.

That will be enough for one day...still sore from yesterday....may work on drawers next.
    Stay tuned....and have a safe Easter weekend, you all.

Rumour Control says there IS a tablesaw located in the shop....somewhere..
    Plane Til Drawers, clean up 1.JPG
    Seems I need it, to rip most of those cut-offs down for drawer/door parts....
    Plane Til Drawers, all cleaned up.JPG
    Ah....knew it was still down here....set things up to do some ripping...
    Plane Til Drawers, ripping parts.JPG
    Not only does that fence guide my router, and my circular saw.....also a pretty good fence for the tablesaw....
    needed 12 parts, for 3 drawers...
    Plane Til Drawers, parts ripped.JPG
    That I can then cross cut into sides and drawer fronts...and still have enough for the backs of the drawers...
    Plane Til Drawers, crosscuts done...JPG
    Thinking 3/4" thick for the sides of these drawers MIGHT be a bit too thick? Maybe resaw the sides and backs down a bit...1/2" or 5/8" thick....and leave the fronts at 3/4".....too late in the day...leave that for another day...

Stay tuned...

Hmmm..wondering....one door, or two doors? Will use a piano hinge, either way. have priced the Plexiglass panel....at Blue BORG. $20 for a sheet the size of the front of the til, would have to trim to fit..

THOUGHT I was done in the shop for today....went down to look at Mallets....wound up resawing Pine..
    Plane Til Drawers, resaw setting.JPG
    Blade all the way up. fence is as close as I can safely saw a thin board....I think it is just over 1/2" between the fence and the blade. Made a long of thin scraps.
    Plane Til Drawers, resaw scraps.JPG
    But..drawer backs and sides are now a bit thinner...
    Plane Til Drawers, resawn backs.JPG

Should work ok for the drawers...left the fronts at 3/4" thick.

NOW...I am done for the day..