Thread: Infinity mega flush trim?

Infinity mega flush trim?

Does anyone here have any experience with the mega flush trim router bits? Is there actually any advantage with these over a straight flute bit with double bearings? In addition to this question, is the lager diameter bit (1 1/2”) worth the extra price vrs the smaller one (3/4”) ($130 vrs $70)?
    I will be using a bit such as this with a template for 8/4 chair legs. TIA
    Last edited by Wayne Fuder; 04-07-2020 at 8:36 AM.

Not sure if the larger diameter (actually 1 1/2") bit is "worth" it, but I've found that a larger flush trim bit seems to cut a bit more smoothly than a smaller diameter variant.
    I think the angle where the larger cutter meets the wood is shallower, and in combination with the shearing action it could help with tear out compared to straight flute bits.
    I also like the opposing shear angles on those router bits.
    A powerful router with speed control would be a necessity with large bits such as that though.

Wayne,
    I bought the 1 1/2 diameter 1 1/4" height bit mega flush trim for for the same application as you. I was so impressed with it, I went back and bought the set of various sizes they offer in a box set. You need a variable speed router and should follow their recommendations for speed settings. Also, if it is possible, you want to center the stock on the bit at or near where the two opposing shear angle cutters meet. The video on their site talks about sizing guidelines and this will help you select the correct size for the stock you may be commonly routing with it.
    The cuts from these bits are very good.
    Good luck,
    Edwin

Blog Entries
    Hi Wayne. I like them but my opinion is probably biased. If you have any technical question regarding the Mega Flush Trim bits I'd be happy to help.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Infinity generally executes this kind of thing very well and the idea is absolutely sound. I have not yet acquired one, but it's on my list. I'll likely go for the "skinny" version because for me, that will be more versatile, but if I were doing a lot of work with larger, gentler curves the larger diameter cutters might have an advantage since the effective "tip speed" is greater and the gentler angle they bite in as the cut is advanced may be advantageous.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...