Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Covid, why wash your hands?

The virus has been shown to be spread primarily through surface contact/entry through mouth, nose, eyes. IOW contaminated hands touching the face.

The virus is not that hardy, so even simply washing the hands will work.

Aerosol droplets not a primary method of spread. Face masks probably to more good making people aware how often the subconsciously tough their face!

I suspect grocery stores are a major point of spread. People handling items, etc.

Unless cashiers change gloves between every customer, they may be contributing to the spread!!

In the end, I am not sure we will ever know how much effect "social distancing" has had, as opposed to sanitizing surfaces such as door handles, shopping carts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    The virus has been shown to be spread primarily through surface contact/entry through mouth, nose, eyes. IOW contaminated hands touching the face.

The virus is not that hardy, so even simply washing the hands will work.

Aerosol droplets not a primary method of spread. Face masks probably to more good making people aware how often the subconsciously tough their face!

I suspect grocery stores are a major point of spread. People handling items, etc.

Unless cashiers change gloves between every customer, they may be contributing to the spread!!

In the end, I am not sure we will ever know how much effect "social distancing" has had, as opposed to sanitizing surfaces such as door handles, shopping carts, etc.
    The following quote is from an NPR online article on why you don't need to disinfect your groceries:

"Know the dangers — focus on the people, not the food

Many people worry about the possibility of picking up the coronavirus from things like grocery store conveyor belts or cereal boxes. But every expert NPR spoke with agrees that the biggest risk when it comes to groceries is being inside the store itself with other people who may be infected.

"While it is possible to contract the virus [from contaminated surfaces], the majority of transmission is probably going to be from respiratory droplets, which you're exposed to when you're around other people," says Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health."

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    ...the majority of transmission is probably going to be from respiratory droplets,...
    I read that article and the "probably" is the part that negates the entire argument for me. Playing the odds may be OK with bank account but not with my compromised lungs!

A few years after this is all over I'd like to be around to read what the researchers actually found.

JKJ

We're not playing any guessing games here either. We stocked up a little over a month ago, and are good to go for a while yet, without having to go into a store. I have more work to do here, by myself, than I will ever get done anyway. We're both working longer hours, not watching a clock, than we did when we each had hired helpers, and I'm getting kind of used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I read that article and the "probably" is the part that negates the entire argument for me. Playing the odds may be OK with bank account but not with my compromised lungs!

A few years after this is all over I'd like to be around to read what the researchers actually found.

JKJ
    John,
    I have my decontamination table set up on my screen porch and nothing comes in the house until it has been disinfected and, if possible, left untouched for a few days. I posted the NPR article only to counter Robert's belief that aerosol droplets are not a primary cause of the spread of Covid-19. I will be 60 this year and have been woodworking since my 20's; I'm not taking any chances with my lungs either.
    Jon

The elbow bump has been suggested as a safe replacement for hand shakes. That would be just a little more dignified
    than "pants drop mooning". George Washington had a better way, he did not do hand shakes. He just used a brief
    formal ,not overly deep , bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    The elbow bump has been suggested as a safe replacement for hand shakes. That would be just a little more dignified
    than "pants drop mooning". George Washington had a better way, he did not do hand shakes. He just used a brief
    formal ,not overly deep , bow.
    No thanks. We're supposed be coughing and sneezing into our elbows (NOT our hands or free air). Why would we then want to bump them with others?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore