Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Covid, why wash your hands?

Covid, why wash your hands?

This forum contains a lot of smart people, many of whom, ( I am guessing here), like to understand why something works. So here is an article that apparently came for Johns Hopkins University but I cannot confirm that. In any case, it takes an interested look at Covid 19 from a chemistry perspective and some of it makes sense, at least to me.
    There is lots of Dawn dish soap still on the shelf, (that is the dish soap ads they show cleaning crude oil of ducklings), that should cut through the "outer layer of fat" dont you think?

A virus is not a living organism, but only a molecule of protein (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipids (fats), that upon being absorbed by ocular, nasal and mouth mucosa cells changes the genetic code of the cells and converts them into aggressor and multiplier cells. •

Since the virus is not a living organism but rather a molecule of protein, it doesn’t die but rather disintegrates on its own. The length of time it takes to disintegrate depends on temperature, humidity and the type of material where is sits. •

The virus is very fragile, the only thing that protects it is a thin external layer of fat. That’s why any soap or detergent is the best remedy because suds break down grease/fats (that’s why you have to suds up for 20 seconds or more in order to make a lot of suds).

Once the layer of fat is dissolved, the molecule of protein falls apart and disintegrates on its own. •
    HEAT melts grease, that is why it is best to use water that is at least 25 degrees centigrade (you can do your math here or just use pretty warm water) to wash your hands, clothes, etc. Besides, hot water makes more suds and that is good. •

Alcohol or any mixture of alcohol at more than 65% will dissolve any grease/fats, especially the outer fat layer of the virus. • Any mixture of 1-part Clorox and 5 parts water dissolves the protein directly, which kills it from the inside. •

Oxidized water can be used besides soap, alcohol, and Clorox because peroxide dissolves the protein of the virus, but you have to use it alone and it damages the skin. •
    .NO BACTERIACIDE WORKS. Since the virus is not a living organism, you can’t kill anything that is not alive with antibiotics, except to rapidly disintegrate its structure with everything mentioned above. •

NEVER shake clothes you have worn (or not worn) nor sheets (bedding) or anything made of cloth. As long as it is stuck to a porous surface, it is inert and will disintegrate in 3 hours (cloth and porous surfaces)

- 4 hours (copper which is naturally antiseptic and wood because it pulls away all of the humidity and it stays stuck and disintegrates),
    - 24 hours (cardboard),
    - 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic).

Don’t dust or use a duster as the molecules of the virus will float in the air for up to 3 hours and can lodge in the nose. •

The molecules of the virus are very stable in outdoor cold, air conditioning in houses and cars. It needs humidity to be stable and also darkness. Therefore, in environments that are dehumidified, dry, and with a lot of light will disintegrate it more rapidly. •

ULTRAVIOLET LIGHT on any object where it can land will disintegrate the protein of the virus.

For example, it is perfect to disinfect and be able to reuse a mask. Careful as it also disintegrates the protein in the skin (collagen) and can cause big wrinkles and skin cancer. •

No virus can go through healthy skin. •

Vinegar does not work because it doesn’t dissolve the protective layer of grease. • NO FIREWATER OR VODKA works. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol and you need at least 65%. •

LISTERINE DOES WORK! It is 65% alcohol. •As does gargling with Hydrogen Peroxide!

The more confined space the virus is in, the more concentrated it becomes. Open-air and natural ventilation are the best. •

It is imperative to wash your hands before and after touching mucous areas, food, knobs, light switches, remote controls, cell phones, watches, computers, desks, TVs, etc. And when after using the toilet. •

You need to use lotion on your dry hands, because the molecules can hide in tiny cracks. The thicker the cream, the better. Also, keep your fingernails short! so the virus can’t hide in there either.

A great deal of bogosity in this, but some kernels of truth as well. I don't have the energy to go through point by point. Start with the fact that corona viruses are RNA viruses not DNA viruses and go on from there. Washing your hands with soap and water is the single most effective things you can do. Dawn is a great detergent, and will be highly effective.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    A great deal of bogosity in this, but some kernels of truth as well. I don't have the energy to go through point by point. Start with the fact that corona viruses are RNA viruses not DNA viruses and go on from there. Washing your hands with soap and water is the single most effective things you can do. Dawn is a great detergent, and will be highly effective.
    I didn't know bogosity was a word. Your post got me to look it up, and now I know it is, and believe me, I'll be using it a lot. Props to you sir.

Apparently bogometer is a word also, defined as "a notional instrument for measuring bogosity". So it seems that some aspects of the quoted article contained sufficient bogosity to trip your bogometer.

BTW, I felt much of the article was good info, at least for this layperson. But being that I'm a layperson, my opinion could be bogus.
    Edwin

Blog Entries
    Roger & Edwin, good responses. There is way too much misinformation & disinformation floating about. Being careful & selective about which sources to pay attention to is important. When I read an article that has more than a couple of minor factual errors, I just stop & disregard the entire thing.

Listerine is about 22% alcohol for flavored versions, 27% for original.

Bummer about Vodka not working.

Alcohol above 85% will not bother the virus if it is like other viruses. The high concentration alcohol will cause it to go into a defense mode and it can "live" in pure alcohol for several years. Around 65% alcohol it does not activate the defenses and it dies. It can "live' in a freezer for two years or more. No idea about refridgerator temperatures and survivability.
    Bill D.

One of my issues with this article is...

25°C (77°F) water supposedly helps melt the virus' fat layer. How would it not then melt in the body, which is 37°C (98.6°F)?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post

25°C (77°F) water supposedly helps melt the virus' fat layer. How would it not then melt in the body, which is 37°C (98.6°F)?
    In conjunction with soap/detergent, and lathering.

That's why we shouldn't do drugs. :^)

I had to google about the alcohol content of listenine and it seems it's about 27 percent. The rest of the post seems logical with reasonable and effective precautions. Thanks for posting it.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Benjimin Young View Post
    This forum contains a lot of smart people, many of whom, ( I am guessing here), like to understand why something works. So here is an article that apparently came for Johns Hopkins University but I cannot confirm that.
    Benjamin, the article was labeled by Snopes as "misappropriated":

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jo...covid-summary/

The recommended Johns Hopkins sites:
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/

JKJ

I look at the washing hands from a more practical physical point.

Provided I don't have nicks, cuts, wounds on my hands, if I come in contact with a virus carrying glob of moisture say on a grocery cart handle while grocery shopping for example, the most likely way of me being infected by that speck of virus is from contacting my eyes, mouth or nose. If the speck of virus survives the trip home and is still on my hands when I get into the house, carefully, thoroughly washing my hands should remove it and wash it down the drain removing it's presence and danger. The key is in the thorough washing technique to remove it.

If you touch your face, wipe eyes, pick your nose, wipe your mouth, you take chance on placing that same speck of virus onto a wet more direct entry into your body.

Wearing a mask around others is as much about you, should you be infected and contagious, not spreading the virus should you cough or sneeze as it is about preventing you from catching the virus should an infected, contagious person cough or sneeze in your presence.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-07-2020 at 4:51 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post

The way it works is that as soon as the virus gets into the wet body tissue the outer layer breaks down and the RNA strand is free to move into a likely looking cell and take over from the existing DNA. Just like a bird hatching as soon as it starts to hatch the eggshell is just in the way.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I didn't know bogosity was a word. Your post got me to look it up, and now I know it is, and believe me, I'll be using it a lot. Props to you sir.

Apparently bogometer is a word also, defined as "a notional instrument for measuring bogosity". So it seems that some aspects of the quoted article contained sufficient bogosity to trip your bogometer.

BTW, I felt much of the article was good info, at least for this layperson. But being that I'm a layperson, my opinion could be bogus.
    Edwin
    That might be a new favorite word of mine too and it gave me already a much needed smile.

Thank you Roger.

interesting Snopes site John, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Benjamin, the article was labeled by Snopes as "misappropriated":

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jo...covid-summary/

The recommended Johns Hopkins sites:
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/

JKJ
    interesting Snopes site John, thanks.