Thread: Correct Bearing Type for use in Bandsaw Wheels with Force of Blade Tension in Mind

Correct Bearing Type for use in Bandsaw Wheels with Force of Blade Tension in Mind

Good morning everyone- Its time to replace my bandsaw wheel bearings on my bandsaw - its a 14" European style saw and isolated the noise coming from the top wheel bearings. They currently are a no name 6202-RS double sealed bearing and was curious what grade and type bearing should I buy to handle the load of tensioning the blade. I have had good luck with Nachi bearings and was looking for a better quality bearing, but completely lost in how bearings are rated and their application for this purpose.

thanks!

Ratings on bearings of the same size apply more to speed limits than load capacity. Any decent 6202 standard clearance is what you want. The bearings run slow and the only real factor here is clearance. Normal or CN is good. SKF, Natchi, NTN, etc. Dave

They are low speed so most any make is fine. Depending on how hard it is to remove them I have no problem with ebay no name bearings. common size under $2.00 each. Name brand about $10. for for two.
    I have no idea how long shipping from China is these days. It used to take about 2-4 weeks for the standard free shipping included ebay small parcels from China. You may want to pay a little more and buy a stateside bearing.
    Bill D

I would defiantly replace both and consider replacing the lower bearings as well.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-06-2020 at 1:41 PM.

Thank you David and Bill - I appreciate the quick response. I found a helpful/knowledgeable supplier on Google, 3BG Supply Company, to get the NACHI bearings for $4 and change a piece.

Better part was, I received personal service from Drew and he was able to locate the warehouse which had them to drop ship to me in stock as due to the virus, supply has been limited for NACHI due to their shut down for a week because of infected people at their warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tekin View Post
    Good morning everyone- what grade and type bearing should I buy to handle the load of tensioning the blade.

thanks!
    Have you ever figured the load on a bearing with the blade tensioned? Figure might surprise , usually less than 300#.

recommnended blade tension is 15,000-20,000psi. A 3/4 by 0.032 blade needs about 800 pounds of force. I am not sure if this is 800 0r 1,600 pounds on the saw. I think they mean 800.
    For a nothing special 6202 bearing the radial load is about 1725 pounds so i bet 800 pounds is the load it will see.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tekin View Post
    Good morning everyone- Its time to replace my bandsaw wheel bearings on my bandsaw - its a 14" European style saw and isolated the noise coming from the top wheel bearings. They currently are a no name 6202-RS double sealed bearing and was curious what grade and type bearing should I buy to handle the load of tensioning the blade. I have had good luck with Nachi bearings and was looking for a better quality bearing, but completely lost in how bearings are rated and their application for this purpose.

thanks!
    I worked in the PT(power transmission) industry for years. Nachi is a very high quality bearing. SKF and many off brands(SKF is not an off brand) are made in China, but Nachi is made with steel from their steel plant in a Nachi owned factory. Brian