Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

6 Apr 2020

Greetings,
    It's been a busy week at the day job and I finally got my waste board redone after the Z axis upgrade. I think I'm ready for a trial cut on the new setup. Hopefully this week will give me a bit of time but being in this work from home deal, means I never really leave the office.

I hope all of you are holding up well and doing well.

That's it for me so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, TAKE TIME for yourself...it's important for your health!

My week sucked in a major way since I was uber-sick. But I'm feeling better and better and itching to do stuff. The big problem with being sick in bed for a week is that I, um...get ideas. My list is already too long!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spent Saturday morning with the chainsaw. Spent Saturday afternoon with the recliner.

Worked 76 hours last week trying to supply our customers (producers of essential products) with the components they need. We're expecting a 70 hour week this week, and will not work this coming Sunday. Needless to say, no shop time. Posting this while eating lunch.

Been cleaning the workshop, and starting a new project. A 45 year friend asked me to build a lectern, and I wanted something a little different for the top, so I did a Tom Fidgen cutting of a bunch of oak pieces to present the quartersawn edge, even though they are from different pieces (all reclaimed Oak).
    Trying to cope with solitary cleaning of the house for Passover.
    Worrying about my daughter, isolated in the surgical recovery ward after a workplace injury and recovery will be long enough that workplace comp. had a ramp installed for her use yesterday.
    Last edited by Aaron Rosenthal; 04-06-2020 at 1:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Jim, sorry to hear you were so sick but glad you are feeling better. And you know what they say about idle hands, even when idle not by choice!

Lisa, sound like you are really slammed, which is obviously both good and bad. I hope the deluge doesn't last too long, but long enough that your work doesn't dry up before this virus thing eases up.

Aaron, sorry to hear of your daughter. No one wants to be in the hospital ever, lest of all now. But what I understand from the docs and nurses in my family, the non-covid involved areas of most hospitals are really slow now as everything but emergency treatment has been put on hold. I hope that translates into attentive and good care for her and she is on the road to recovery soon.

So I got some shop time this week and continued working on the office remodel project. I did get a sample drawer finished and did the milling and joinery for a sample door. We had a few days of great weather and when I should have been spraying the topcoats on my sample cabinet, I was instead getting a jump on the outdoor chores. I guess a combination of being more or less confined to the house and the nice weather really made me want to do some outside stuff. The nice weather and everybody being home has made it increasingly difficult to find a local park that isn't overcrowded in order to walk the dog. We have an abundance of local parks but my wife had to drive to 4 or 5 of them before she found one that wasn't overcrowded with people being stupid about staying distant.
    Our street is busy enough and lacks sidewalks, so we have to take her to the park for her twice a day long hikes. I have made a walking trail on our lot, but it's fairly impassible for now with lots of fallen ash trees. Those are on my list too. I've been trying to keep up with them, but there are parts of the woods that look like what you see after a tornado.

The longer daylight and warmer weather is good for the spirits though!

Take care all and stay safe.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, I have the same challenge with my ash trees. I have many down from previous time periods and a lot more that have to come down. A few are near the house and I'm going to have to engage a tree service. At least those are way large enough to be leveraged for lumber.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Paul, I have the same challenge with my ash trees. I have many down from previous time periods and a lot more that have to come down. A few are near the house and I'm going to have to engage a tree service. At least those are way large enough to be leveraged for lumber.
    Sadly, most or all of mine are too small in diameter to be worth harvesting them for lumber Fortunately only a few were near enough to the house or barn to be worrisome, and those I've dealt with already.

Started six Bluebird houses for a Bluebird trail I'm making. Got a lawn mower (dumpster rescue, TORO Personal Pace,) up and running. Combined two washing machine into one machine. One more thing off my list! Fertilized yard, plus weed killer. On Sunday morning got up at 6:30, made a half steam try of banana pudding (takes a dozen eggs) to distribute with biscuits. Made two pans of biscuits, some to grandson, others to members of Sunday School class, mainly widows. Went shopping for groceries last Thursday, stores had toilet paper. Burned a huge pile of brush. Did monthly tests on generators (3) plus Lincoln welder. Got rooted cuttings (Azalea, Box Woods, Compactors) into pots. Picked up several wheel barrows of pine cones for burn pile. Thank God for Pine Cone Wizard. Made some home made pizza, including crust. Worked on income taxes. Amazing how from IRS web site you can get two different answers to same exact question. I would say monkeys must have written the tax code, but monkeys are smarter than that, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Made some home made pizza, including crust
    Glad to hear you are a pizza baker Bruce. I have been baking for quite some time, and picked up a couple 50 pound sacks of flour to help me get through these tough times. Home made pizza is the best!

Finished a bit of a milestone in my recent project. All the Rails and Stiles (15 Plantation Shutters) are all cut, mortised, tenoned and trim routing done.

Now I'm building a simple version of Jim's downdraft sanding box to start sanding this pile before painting.

Aside from making a stack of webex calls from my workbench (working at home now), I made a red oak medicine cabinet for the main floor powder room.

The oak came from some logs diverted from the shredder in downtown Toronto, and sawn up on my Binford 500 band mill.

The stain is Watco Dark Walnut Danish oil, and 4 coats on Minwax satin oil modified water based poly. It has a slight amber tone which matches the traditional stuff I make, rather than the crystal clear type I don't like.........Rod.

Oak Exterior.jpgOak Interior.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-07-2020 at 2:53 PM.

Chris, you must feel accomplished getting that bunch done! Beautiful clear stock too. The problem with big projects, like a zillion shutters, or a kitchen full of cabinets....after the first couple or few, the rest is just....work....

I find it a lot easier to keep motivated during the early stages, design work, figuring things out, making jigs, getting some new tools or tooling maybe...after that, just work...

Well done Chris, your pile is bigger than mine. This is a set of blocks I’m making for my cousin’s baby girls, drying after last coat of finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Found some QSWO scraps that were begging to be dovetailed so made this Stickly revolving bookcase which we use at the breakfast table. And unloaded 60 bf of very nice QSWO for a bed project.
    download_20200406_212347.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.