Thread: Shortening TS table and fence

Shortening TS table and fence

Having failed in search, I ask for opinions on this. I have the SS PCS with the long fence/table. I do not have the TS set into a large island and do not see myself doing so. As a result the aircraft carrier top becomes a catch-all. I do not use the saw for cross cuts on long pieces. Rips and shorter cross cuts are what I use it for. I have considered simply adding the 16' CI Rt wing available from SS or simply shortening the fence to the 36" mark. That would keep the last fence bolt intact. I'd be much obliged for any opinions on this matter. What am I overlooking here?

I was in the Saw Stop web site. It just seems so wonky to me. All the info is there but it is the most damned convoluted thing. It simply does not flow well.

Blog Entries
    I had a 52" fence for many years & it was just in the way of everything. I probably used that capacity less than half a dozen times. My current fence is 36" with a router table in the right extension table. The stock extension table is pretty lame, so I made a better one & set a router lift into it.

Works well for me.

If you want to shorten it, shorten it. This topic comes up here once every month or two.

My personal opinion is that too many folks have "wide saws" when their actual use and space is better suited to "narrower" configurations. "How wide you can rip" using the fence doesn't really need to exceed 30-36" for most people....even pros...and that extra space may be better used in many shops.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm the opposite. I put longer rails (64") on my saw and love it. I have my saw setup differently than most though. My router is mounted in the Right side of the saw. I have an extra fence that rides on the same rails as the table saw fence. I frequently set-up the router to produce moldings on a wide board and then rip them off, before routing the edge again. The wide setup allows both fences to co-exist. This works for me, but I'm also a Nazi about NOTHING being set on the equipment surfaces. That really helps with the clutter.

Blog Entries
    With wide fence capacity comes the temptation to perform cross cuts that are too wide to be done safely. Cutting a 36" wide piece of plywood to 52" long using the fence is not a best practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    I'm the opposite. I put longer rails (64") on my saw and love it. I have my saw setup differently than most though. My router is mounted in the Right side of the saw. I have an extra fence that rides on the same rails as the table saw fence. I frequently set-up the router to produce moldings on a wide board and then rip them off, before routing the edge again. The wide setup allows both fences to co-exist. This works for me, but I'm also a Nazi about NOTHING being set on the equipment surfaces. That really helps with the clutter.
    I’m with Lisa. I have my router set up to the right end of my 52 inch rails. I can use my Unifence for ripping on the table saw OR with the router table.

That being said, why not cut your rails down? Can not remember the tast time I ripped anything wider tha 24 inches. Actually can not remember last time I ripped something wider than 18”...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Surprised you couldn't find a discussion about chopping down a table saw. It comes up about every other month.

Each to their own of course. I am currently rebuilding my old table saw and will definitely be cutting down the fence rails to better utilize my shop space. In 20 years, I've used close to the full capacity perhaps once, and that experience (cutting down a full sheet of plywood) wasn't a lot of fun, nor has been walking around the ends of those long rails. Even 5' x 5' Baltic Birch plywood panels get cut to size with my track saw now. 24" crosscut capacity is likely adequate for my table saw now.

Regards,
    Joe H.

I can rip 27" which suits me fine but if I want to cut a piece of trim from a longer piece I wish the fence was easier to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Can not remember the tast time I ripped anything wider tha 24 inches. Actually can not remember last time I ripped something wider than 18”...
    OK, can you remember what you had for lunch yesterday? Or how to turn on spellcheck? �� Just kidding, I rarely rip wider than 18" to 24" either.