Thread: Practical project

Blog Entries

Practical project

About 40 years ago, I converted a hole in the floor in our bathroom closet, made by the previous owner, into a laundry chute complete with its own door. I also made a suspended enclosure in the basement to catch the laundry and keep it off the floor. Over the years, my wife used a laundry basket or a large cardboard box to contain the laundry within the enclosure. This past week, she asked if I could do anything about replacing the current cardboard box with something more permanent.

Since we are self isolating, I was limited to the materials I had on hand in my shop. At first I thought I could make a slide out tray, but the existing enclosure didn't support that idea and I didn't have any full extension drawer slides that would be long enough. After some more thought, I came up with home made slide rails under the box. Here is the final result.
    With the enclosure door closed.
    IMG_0702.jpg
    With the enclosure door open.
    IMG_0703.jpg
    With the box part way out.
    IMG_0704.jpg
    With box all the way out.
    IMG_0705.jpg
    Front view of enclosure.
    IMG_0706.jpg
    My wife is pleased with the end result, though all she wanted was a simple box.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-06-2020 at 8:24 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ingenious solution. Thanks for sharing but there are maybe few among us with existing holes in our floors. Even so, that may not hold some of us back!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Really great idea, Lee! Practical, uses what you had, makes your better half happy. Win all around!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    About 40 years ago, I converted a hole in the floor in our bathroom closet, made by the previous owner, into a laundry chute complete with its own door. I also made a suspended enclosure in the basement to catch the laundry and keep it off the floor. Over the years, my wife used a laundry basket or a large cardboard box to contain the laundry within the enclosure. This past week, she asked if I could do anything about replacing the current cardboard box with something more permanent.

Since we are self isolating, I was limited to the materials I had on hand in my shop. At first I thought I could make a slide out tray, but the existing enclosure didn't support that idea and I didn't have any full extension drawer slides that would be long enough. After some more thought, I came up with home made slide rails under the box. Here is the final result.
    With the enclosure door closed.
    IMG_0702.jpg
    With the enclosure door open.
    IMG_0703.jpg
    With the box part way out.
    IMG_0704.jpg
    With box all the way out.
    IMG_0705.jpg
    Front view of enclosure.
    IMG_0706.jpg
    My wife is pleased with the end result, though all she wanted was a simple box.